Re: [African_Arts] mystery mask

  • Ed Jones
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
      Hello Bob.

      I believe that your "mystery mask" resembles a specific styled mask from the Dan Tribes --- Ivory Coast, not from E. Africa.  If I am incorrect ---  then I am open for correction and learning.

      Regards,
      Ed

      bobbold2000 <bob.ibold@...> wrote:
      Recently I got this 5 x 14-inch mask because it was cheap and I thought
      it might be real. There are a few old nails that would have attached
      animal skin, plus some tar and other signs that something was over or
      around the eye holes. Neither the seller nor I know where it comes
      from. I'm calling it a Ziba (NW Tanzania) because I had to name the
      file. Just a wild guess.
      Bob

      Moderator:

      Direct link to the photos of the mask in question-
      http://ph.groups. yahoo.com/ group/African_ Arts/photos/ browse/5b3d? b=1&m=t

    • artefcat
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
        --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, Ed Jones <bucit@...> wrote:

        > Hello Bob.
        >
        > I believe that your "mystery mask" resembles a specific styled
        mask from the Dan Tribes --- Ivory Coast, not from E. Africa. If I am
        incorrect --- then I am open for correction and learning.

        > Regards,
        > Ed
        >
        > bobbold2000 <bob.ibold@...> wrote:
        > Recently I got this 5 x 14-inch mask because it was cheap
        and I thought
        > it might be real. There are a few old nails that would have attached
        > animal skin, plus some tar and other signs that something was over or
        > around the eye holes. Neither the seller nor I know where it comes
        > from. I'm calling it a Ziba (NW Tanzania) because I had to name the
        > file. Just a wild guess.
        > Bob
        >
        > Moderator:
        >
        > Direct link to the photos of the mask in question-

        I suspect Ed may be right, the bulging forhead, the round eyes, holes
        for head net, etc... all suggest to me Dan [Yacouba], however it is a
        little coarser than I am used to from the Dan, of course there is
        always room for variation and innovation, another avenue to follow may
        be the Gere or Wobe collectively known as the We, also in Coté
        d'Ivoire, their style can be similar to the Dan but the features are
        usually "heavier".

        Having said that it still puts me in mind of some East African pices I
        have seen, a from the Makua in Mozambique and the face reminds me of
        the bound figures you find along the coast of Tanzania from groups
        like the Pare, Chaga, and Zigua.

        Re-reading my reply i worry that I may have given you too many avenues
        to investigate, but hey that is half the joy when dealing with
        artefacts from Africa. Like Ed I'm open to correction, and very eager
        to learn.

        cheers
        the artefcat
      • Paul De Lucco
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 3, 2007
          Bob,

          I tend to side with Rand.  The mask reminds me of a Mwera mask I collected a few years ago.  The Mwera are neighbors of the Makonde in southern Tanzania.

          - Paul

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 3, 2007

            Ed,
            Thanks for your comment. Someone else said Dan as well. Ziba was just a wild and crazy guess on my part.
            Bob

            At 09:40 PM 2/2/2007, you wrote:

[...]

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          • Alexander Bortolot
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 3, 2007
              Hello everyone.
              I actually think the Dan attribution makes more sense.
              Although there is a genre of horned face masks that
              have been collected in Tanzania as early as 1906 (by
              Karl Weule for the Museum fur Volkerkunde in Leipzig,
              for example) this mask doesn't bear much resemblance
              to them. A good image source for these masks and
              others from Tanzania is Kurt Krieger's
              "Ostafrikanische Kunst."

              In many areas of Tanzania, making ethnic attributions
              based on style alone is a questionable exercise
              anyway. Workshop or apprenticeship structures that
              would lead to stylistic conformity and succession,
              like you have in other parts of the continent, often
              don't exist. Additionally, in southern Tanzania the
              level of artistic exchange among different ethnic
              groups is so great that you have Yao and Makua groups,
              for example, performing with masks made by Makonde
              artists, and singing songs in Shimakonde. So a field
              collector might buy a Makonde mask from a Yao
              masquerade group and assume it's "Yao" instead of
              "Makonde."

              Here's a thought: I think all those "Makua" masks out
              there are really made by Makonde artists, some perhaps
              for Makua patrons, but most not. It's just that many
              people, in the absence of concrete information, have
              come to equate face masks with Makua and helmet masks
              with Makonde. Lots of Makonde artists make face masks
              in addition to helmet masks, but for different Makonde
              dances such as Nantyaka and Makhomba. The only
              bonafied Makua masks I've seen are in the National
              Ethnographic Museum in Nampula, Mozambique, and are
              non-representational painted bark cloth constructions
              on bamboo armatures. The few wooden Makua masks in
              that collection are rectangular, painted with white
              and green stripes, and have a wedge-like face with
              notches representing the nose and mouth. If I can dig
              up some images from my files I'll post them for the
              group.

              Alex

              --- bobbold2000 <bob.ibold@...> wrote:

              > Recently I got this 5 x 14-inch mask because it was
              > cheap and I thought
              > it might be real. There are a few old nails that
              > would have attached
              > animal skin, plus some tar and other signs that
              > something was over or
              > around the eye holes. Neither the seller nor I know
              > where it comes
              > from. I'm calling it a Ziba (NW Tanzania) because I
              > had to name the
              > file. Just a wild guess.
              > Bob
              >
              > Moderator:
              >
              > Direct link to the photos of the mask in question-

              Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
              in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.