Fwd: [AfricanAntiques] Unique Dan Mask, Nok, and Fanti...

  • Vicky Visagie
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2007
      Hi To All..

      could you please help me with information
      about this Dan Mask(Photo Attatched)..
      as nobody has yet been able to..

      an expert in the field had a look at it and said that it is authentic..
      but what nobody can help me with is the fact that it has Crockodile teeth..
      people tell me that the masks they know of
      has metal,human or teeth made out of wood...
      the Mask is really light in weight, with a good patina..
      it is really rough in the inside, with little holes in dhe edges
      at the back.. the eyes  are surounded by metal..

      The second item i have is a nok terracotta,
      and  the style is different then the usual, could you please give me your comment
      about it(Photo Attatched) And i would like to Authenticate it as well,
      but i can't find a place to do this, do you know of such place?
      in South-Africa?

      The third item is a statue from Ghana(Fanti) ..
      can you please give me information about it as well..
      (Photo Attatched)

      i thank you for your time...
      Please see Photo's attached..

      Kind regards
      Vicky Visagie

    • RAND (Rand African Art)
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2007
        For those of you who do not receive direct emails with attachments from the group, I have placed Vicky's photos in the folder in the group named "Vicky" and below is a direct link to the photos:

[...]

      • African Art Gallery
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2007
          Message
          HI Vicky,

          In South Africa, you can get an age authentication done at the Quanternary Dating Research unit at the CSIR, Pretoria. The number for the CSIR is 012-841-2620. I hope this is of assistance, for further authentication, I have heard that there is a professor at WITS University that is pretty clued up and is called on for his services and knowledge from time to time, this however just something I have heard.

          Kind Regards,
          Frank Eagar

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2007
            --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, Vicky Visagie <v_visagie@...> wrote:

            > Hi To All..
            >

            > The third item is a statue from Ghana(Fanti)..
            > can you please give me information about it as well..
            > (Photo Attatched)
            >
            > i thank you for your time...
            > Please see Photo's attached..
            >
            > Kind regards
            > Vicky Visagie

            Hi Vicki,

            My first post here so I hope I can be helpful. With respect to the
            figure that you attribute as Fante, I'm curious you mention Ghana. Did
            you buy it there or is this the information you wee told?

            To me it seems a fairly classic Fang piece from Gabon [they are also
            in Equatorial Guinea and southern Cameroon]

            Stick Fang Gabon tribe into google and see if you agree with me.

            As for age or authenticity, that can be very hard to establish without
            the back story, and seeing the piece up close [though good photos can
            be ok too].

            If you bought it in SA, there are many "runners" bringing pieces to SA
            from all over Africa because they know they can get a better price
            that in their local area, often they don't know much about what they
            are carrying especially if it is not of their people.

            cheers
            the artfcat