Re: [African_Arts] Identification help for a member of the group

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 8, 2005
      Hi Antwan,

      I have all of the messages indexed on my computer so I can easily search for things.

      I searched for the term "authenticity" and came up with the following message threads:
      "A helpful hint" posted 03-18-05
      "Thanks for the help, but is it a reproduction" posted 05-06-05

      If you go to the messages section of the group you can go back through the archives until you get to messages around those dates and look for those subject headers.

      Here is a link to the message archives on the group:
      Hope that helps.

      If you have not read it before, here is a fantastic article that I think everyone should read:

      RAND
      Antwan Martin <smoothy01@...> wrote:
      HELLO, I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE COULD HELP ME FIND A CERTAIN MESSAGE. BACK
      IN EARLY MARCH (WHEN THE GROUP FIRST STARTED) A MESSAGE WAS POSTED IN
      REGARDS TO AUTHENTICITY OF AFRICAN ART. I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT IF
      SOMEONE IN THE GROUP COULD DIRECT ME TO THE MESSAGE.

      THANKS

      ANTWAN

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Erik Lewandowski
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 8, 2005
        Hi Rand, Jose,
        We think
                 #1 most likely Bwa
                 #3 hard to tell from this picture but it does look to us like Baule
                 #5 Guro
                 #6 it has characteristics of Igbo
        This is what Anna and I are thinking from the pictures as far as we can identify them
        Regards
        Erik

        At 10:51 AM 6/8/2005 -0700, you wrote:

        Dear group,

        A member of this group who is from Spain that I have been corresponding with for about a year and a half now has sent me a request for help in identification of some pieces in his collection.

        He is a very passionate young collector of many things and has been identifying and photographing the items in his collection and is putting a small website together for them all. There are a few that he is having trouble with identifying and I told him I would post the message to the group to see if anyone might be able to assist him.

        An interesting story about how he began collecting, which I hope he doesn’t mind me sharing, is the following:

        I tell you my story. When I was only twelve, my mother gave me a particular present in my birthday. She bought me two masks (not african, I think form <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />South America). Then I began to be interested in maks. Instead of demand toys and tipical things for my age, I wanted african mask and Antiques (I collect both).

[...]

      • Craig Lewis
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 8, 2005
          Rand, Jose,
          I know Jose didn't want a critique however it is difficult not to
          give an opinion and reason when the attribution is technically saying
          that a piece is "in the style of......"
          Anyway here goes:-
          1, Bwa ??
          2,??
          3, Baule although I don't know if the Baule made terracota masks.
          4, Looks like in the Kongo style to me not Yoruba
          5, Baule/Yaure as has previously been suggested although I also think
          there is a mixture of styles here and this suggests a decorative
          commercial piece rather than ceremonial.
          6,Again a mixture of styles ,Igbo mouth and I can also see influences
          of Baule and Puno, a real mixture so again suggesting a decorative
          piece.
          Hope this has been of help.
          Cheers
          Craig

          --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, Rand African Art <rand@r...>
          wrote:

> [...]
          XduuDeGcXlzzCuZvyEZGjw1cpGWLWJlqy3KX*9xdwN4Cm*1pYw2wSv40u*ce1zWVkzroGm
          lIA*HXKNzJ8VYjEKw/Fetiche%20Yoruba%201.JPG?dc=4675512967132787637
          It´s a fetish. The seller said Yoruba but I am not sure.

          > · 5)
          http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0WAAWAx8YzwREeOYETIxn!
          FaQqw0cEk*gbQWGhuxueLMAaMXvO9kkbTXcVXltqg*Glu5nwcoz2UXvWWWViQoTUL8Mvcu
          DcVTKpKvgDvudtq*1BweLm!6Kt1u0swWpmgl*NwAAAP****8/M%C3%A1scara%20Baul%
          C3%A9%20A1.JPG?dc=4675512967186320428 Are you sure it is baulé?
          It´s
          very similar to gouro masks. What is the differences between them??

          > · 6)
          http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TwAwAyMXWZgDCYo2GDS3vUOp74oOEUBIKw872ov
          PaOsTbPEViyf3*5MUfnURwY9ZY8FjQ*2xHEJ0H1ahSLw*NCjgnwaFq3YZsO9wA7goyMF85
          8lBBcem6Q/Sin%20Identificar%201.JPG?dc=4675512967281668702 It seems
        • Jose F. Ortega
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 9, 2005
            Good morning ladies and gentlemen. Jose Miguel, I am glad to hear
            from you here. Please, consider that the first mask could be Nunuma,
            instead of Bwa or Bobo. All the Bobo mask I know are helmet mask, and
            in your photo I can't appreciate if yours is. Here you have an
            interesting text from "African Masks", edited by prestel: <<The
            Nunuma live southwest of the Mossi Plateau, to the east of the Marka
            Dafing and the Bwa. They are often referred to as "Gurunsi", even
            though the Nunuma themselves consider this a pejorative term.>>

            Best regards,
            Jose Francisco Ortega

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 13, 2005

              I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped Jose out by identifying the items he asked about.

              I believe he is on holiday right now so he couldn’t respond, but I know that he is very thankful and maybe we will hear from him when he returns.