Fw: dogon hunter mask

  • ari.b
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2007
      Hi Craig,
      One of the best example for rare Dogon Hunter's Mask
      You can see at Sotheby's catalog from NY auction
      November 16, 2001.
      The mask was collected in 1936.
      From the text of the catalog:
      "This rare hunter's mask is full of Dogon symbols,and may relate to the Dogon myth of the origin of weaving and speech as described in Griaule's conversations with
      Ogotommeli.
      When viewed in profile the central raised section can be
      Read as a Nommo demigod,the fiber bundles attached As spindles of yarn,and the triangular form above as a heddle pulley [Graham 1991:18]."
      There are more description  from Griaule 1965:27-28.
      I had problem with my fax scaning -so i didn't scan the
      Photo of this interesting mask.
      The Estimate was $35-45,000  and that was  five years ago..with today prices i believe it will be much more..
      Enclose are two more samples i found on the web.
      Regards,
      Ari
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 17, 2007
        Ari,
        Were you able to get a photo of this Dogon mask from the Sotheby auction on Nov 16, 2001?  I don't have that catalog.
        If not I can order the catalog.
        Where is Rand when you need him?
        Thank you
        Russ