Best locations for mask acquisition in Mali

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 16, 2006
      This is a rather selfish post, but in May 2007 I am travelling to Mali
      for 3 weeks. And as usual, the opportunity to acquire masks rates high
      on my agenda.

      I have plenty of travel references but I am hoping that I can get some
      advice frome someone that has been there and knows where the most
      likely places are to find/purchase ritually used masks (I am not fussy
      about the tribe as I only want to bring a couple back with me so it
      will be those that are most appealing aesthetically and ritually – but
      anything Senufo, and richly painted Bambara feature high on the wish list)

      I imagine that Bamako and Mopti are probably the best as traders
      probably congregate around the greatest tourist/commercial hubs. But
      has anyone heard anything about Sikasso close to the Senufo / Ivory
      Coast border?

      My route will start in Bamako and then is likely to be Segou & Mopti
      (possibly via Sikasso in the south east), the Bandigara escarpment (of
      course) and up to Timbuctu via the Niger.

      Any help / advice / knowledge would be greatly appreciated. My contact
      email is andrew@... if you would prefer to contact me
      directly.

      Regards

      ANDREW TURLEY