Re: Nigerian Ceremonial mask

  • leerubinstein
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 7, 2005
      Dean:

      Thanks for posting images of your mask. My thoughts:

      The basic structure of -- and applied metalwork upon -- the mask you
      have illustrated seems to come more likely from the Malinka or Marka in
      Southern and, I believe, Western, Mali rather than coming from any
      Nigerian tradition. While I do not recall seeing any MARKA examples
      with so pronounced a figure atop the head and between the horns such as
      yours, this inclusion is reminiscent of the neighboring, related
      Bambara. The Marka do, however, produce some horned masks not
      dissimilar to the Bambara Ntomo masks so perhaps we are seeing a
      sharing of elements. I believe a web-search for "Marka Mask" will
      yield to you some related visual references.

      Let us know what you find, and I will forward any related examples I
      see that may shed light on your mask.

      Besr, Lee
    • Veronique Martelliere
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 7, 2005
        Bonjour !
        Your mask has the characteristics of N'golo masks (name of the masks) which are used by the MARKA ethno-group in Mali.
        Cheers
        Véro

        grrrrila101 <grrrrila101@...> wrote:
        Dear Friends,
           I recently purchased what was told to me to be a Nigerian Ceremonial
        mask circa 1930's - 1940's. I was thoroughly intrigued by the mask, so
        much so, that I had to take it home with me.
           Having no general knowledge of masks, in fact this is my first mask,
        I'm looking for any assistance in finding the history of this mask. Is
        it Nigerian? In what ceremony would it be involved? What significance
        does the mask have?....etc......etc.
           Mind you, whether or not the description of the mask originally
        given to me is valid or not, I'm keeping the mask. It's saying
        something to me, but I don't know what.....yet. For photos, look for
        the album listed as "grrrrila101".

        Thank you,
        Dean Diaz

        Discover Yahoo!

      • Steve Price
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 7, 2005
          Hi Dean

          It's easy to see why you are attracted to the mask.

          It's definitely not done in a Nigerian style, but has design elements
          and materials of Mali. It appears to be a mixture of styles from
          that region.

          Stylistic mixes are most often found on objects made for export, for
          decorative use rather than for ritual use within the carver's local
          community. Most likely, yours is in this category.

          Enjoy - it's a nice ethnographic touch for your home.

          Regards

          Steve Price

          --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "grrrrila101" <grrrrila101@y...>
          wrote:
          > Dear Friends,
          > I recently purchased what was told to me to be a Nigerian
          Ceremonial
          > mask circa 1930's - 1940's. I was thoroughly intrigued by the mask,
          so
          > much so, that I had to take it home with me.
          > Having no general knowledge of masks, in fact this is my first
          mask,
          > I'm looking for any assistance in finding the history of this mask.
          Is
          > it Nigerian? In what ceremony would it be involved? What
          significance
          > does the mask have?....etc......etc.
          > Mind you, whether or not the description of the mask originally
          > given to me is valid or not, I'm keeping the mask. It's saying
          > something to me, but I don't know what.....yet. For photos, look
          for
          > the album listed as "grrrrila101".
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Dean Diaz
        • Bouillie Jean-Pierre
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 8, 2005
            Bonsoir, Look,please at www.hamillgallery.com,Yyouu'll find pictures
                                   Jean-Pierre

            Veronique Martelliere <proximatribal@...> a écrit :
[...]

            Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail : 1 Go d'espace de stockage pour vos mails, photos et vidéos !
            Créez votre Yahoo! Mail