Fwd: Re: [African_Arts] Toussian - Loniake masks

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2006
      Bonjour!

      I have an appreciation for the other types of masks you attached photos of from these cultures, but for me I have always been drawn to the helmet masks with the horns and the animal represented on the top like the one that was sold today and the one that Bob Ibold has and the one that was sold at Sotheby's a few years back. I have a few more examples of these masks that I enjoy but don't have the images on my computer.

      There is something about the abstract nature of the bovine on top that I personally enjoy more than the plank masks with the birds on top.

      There was a plank mask (they called it Toussian) that was sold at Sotheby's last year that was reportedly from the Gallerie Leloup (NY and Paris) that was included in with 3 other figures, the lot of 4 objects sold for $1,560. The plank mask was not very nice in my opinion, but it came from the Leloups so I was surprised to see all 4 objects sell for a low price like that.

      So, for your answer, I would not probably dig a tunnel for any of the masks Toussian/Loniake masks you sent photos of, but I would still dig a tunnel for the one that sold today.

      An interesting note, the one on my website from Sotheby's in 2002 from the Estate of Vincent and Mary Price had no provenance, but it had been published in African Arts. It was listed as "Fine and Rare" by Sotheby's, while the one from today's auction was listed simply as "A Toussian mask".

      The auction description for the one from 2002 from the Price's goes on and on about the famous collector, but not why it is "fine and rare".

      The resulting difference is almost $20,000 in price. Yes, maybe the one from 2002 was an older mask and maybe a better example (?), it just doesn't appeal to me as much personally as the one from the auction today.

      In my post I had mentioned the Lobi stools
      Lot 208 TWO LOBI JANUS-HEADED STOOLS BY SIKIRE KAMBIRÉ (1896-1963)
      Their estimate was $2,500 - $3,500 and they sold for $15,600

      The particular style of these two fine stools, featuring flat janus heads with drilled pupils and nostrils, crested coiffure and coloration in dark pigment, mirrors the trademarks of the famous Lobi carver Sikire Kambiré who lived in Gaoua from 1896 to 1963. Cf. Meyer (1981: 141, plate 189) for a closely related example by the same hand from the collection of the Rietberg Museum in Zurich and Sothebys New York, April 21, 1966, lot 93 for another one from the Helena Rubinstein Collection.

      Veronique Martelliere <proximatribal@...> wrote:
      Bonjour Rand !

      Here are 5 Loniake masks that I could find in books - there is a 6th one in Bacquart.
      If you add the 7th which was sold today, for which one would you dig a tunnel ?

      Cheers
      Vero

      Sponsored Link

      $420,000 Mortgage for $1,399/month - Think You Pay Too Much For Your Mortgage? Find Out!