Need help identifying unknown pieces

  • c2clyde
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 12, 2006
      Hello All,

      Thank you for your interest.

      We picked up a few pieces from a local auction and know nothing about
      them, we just enjoy this style of art. Anyone that might have any
      information/ insight on our "standing warrior" would be greatly
      appreciated. Please if you have the time, view our photo
      album "African Art - c2clyde" (couldn't figure how to attach pics to
      this message).

      Thanks again for your time and help,

      Cindy

      Direct link to the photos in the folder:
    • Ed Jones
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 12, 2006
        Cindy,

        I am not well versed in these figures, but from seeing them around and having an appreciation for them aesthetically, generally speaking, I would venture to say your "standing warrior" might be Hemba / Luba (or a hybrid of both).

        Be sound and healthy!
        Ed

        c2clyde <c2clyde@...> wrote:
        Hello All,

        Thank you for your interest.

        We picked up a few pieces from a local auction and know nothing about
        them, we just enjoy this style of art. Anyone that might have any
        information/ insight on our "standing warrior" would be greatly
        appreciated. Please if you have the time, view our photo
        album "African Art - c2clyde" (couldn't figure how to attach pics to
        this message).

        Thanks again for your time and help,

        Cindy

        Direct link to the photos in the folder:
        http://ph.groups. yahoo.com/ group/African_ Arts/photos/ browse/cd25

      • Paul De Lucco
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 12, 2006
          Cindy,

          The warrior piece is in the style of Hemba ancestor figures.  There are several different style variations.  If you can find a copy of La Grande Statuaire Hemba by Neyt, and I think this was also published in English, he goes into the different styles in detail.

          Regards,

          Paul