Virtual tour of the African art collection at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NY

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005

      While I was in NY for the Tribal Arts show a couple of weeks ago, I also visited the MET to see the African art collection. It was my first trip to the MET so it was a real treat to visit the objects that I have only seen previously and admired on their website.

      I brough my camera and took over 100 photos while I was there, and I have put most of them on a page on my website to give people a virtual tour of the collection that is currently displayed. If you have never been there to see the collection, then this is an easy way to see it without having to book a trip. If you have already seen it then maybe this will be a nice revisit.

      I also went to the Natural History Museum while I was there based on a recommendation from Bob Rizzo who is a member of the discussion group who I met while I was in NY. They also have a fantastic collection, and have many pieces with full costumes on display. I would also recommend visiting it if you are in New York.

      Below is the link to the virtual tour of the African art collection at the MET. Most of the photos came out pretty good, but a lot of them were taken through the Plexiglas display cases so there is some reflection. Overall I think the photos came out pretty good and I hope you enjoy them.

      Please keep in mind that if you do not have a high speed internet connection the page may take a long time to load since there are over 90 photos on the page. You can click on any photo on the page to see a full size version.

    • joe jones
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
        Rand
        Nice photos...there was an article in the NYTimes last
        week about audio virtual tours designed specifically
        for iPods (podcasting is the actual term)...perhaps
        you, or another member of this group, might want to
        consider creating such a podcast...it could be used
        while walking around the MET or even while viewing
        your website...I'll be happy to lend whatever
        technical assistance anyone needs..BTW, I'm a new
        member and have enjoyed reading the posts here.
        Hal

        http://randafricanart.com/Met_museum_virtual_tour.html

        > Cheers!
        > RAND
        > www.randafricanart.com

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Bob Ibold
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2005
          Rand,
          Thanks for sharing those pictures from the Metropolitan. I enjoyed them very
          much.
          Did you have time to wonder around the main room of the Rockefeller wing?
          I'm talking about the big room with all of the huge Asmat sculptures. It is
          the most impressive museum display I know of... anywhere! Even if you're
          not into PNG material, it is worth a visit.
          Bob

          > While I was in NY for the Tribal Arts show a couple of weeks ago, I also
          visited the MET to see the African art collection. It was my first trip to
          the MET so it was a real treat to visit the objects that I have only seen
          previously and admired on their website.

          > I brough my camera and took over 100 photos while I was there, and I have
          put most of them on a page on my website to give people a virtual tour of
          the collection that is currently displayed. If you have never been there to
          see the collection, then this is an easy way to see it without having to
          book a trip. If you have already seen it then maybe this will be a nice
          revisit.

          > I also went to the Natural History Museum while I was there based on a
          recommendation from Bob Rizzo who is a member of the discussion group who I
          met while I was in NY. They also have a fantastic collection, and have many
          pieces with full costumes on display. I would also recommend visiting it if
          you are in New York.

          > Below is the link to the virtual tour of the African art collection at the
          MET. Most of the photos came out pretty good, but a lot of them were taken
          through the Plexiglas display cases so there is some reflection. Overall I
          think the photos came out pretty good and I hope you enjoy them.

          > Please keep in mind that if you do not have a high speed internet
          connection the page may take a long time to load since there are over 90
          photos on the page. You can click on any photo on the page to see a full
          size version.

          > http://randafricanart.com/Met_museum_virtual_tour.html
          >
          > Cheers!
          > RAND
          > www.randafricanart.com

        • Coleman McCaskey III
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
            Message
            Rand, thanks for the virtual tour.  I've been meaning to make it up to the Met for several years now.  This was a nice, easy way to get a tast of the Met collection.  Thanks, Coleman

          • MOYOSORE OKEDIJI
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
              Thanks, Rand for the wonderful pictures. They look great. The Asmat room is certainly worth seeing. And to see the entire African art collection of the Met, please see http://anthro.amnh.org/javascript/pub_coll.htm. Everything is available online. Please let me know if you encounter any difficulty.

              Moyo

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005

                Hi Moyo,

                Thanks for the link to the collection at AMNH (American Museum of Natural History). I have been to their website many times, but it was mostly to view the website for the Congo expedition, which I love. I had actually never known that their entire collection was available online, they have quite an impressive collection and it was interesting to read through the history of the collection, they amassed a lot of objects in the early 1900's. I am surprised I have never stumbled across that section of the website before?!? I have lots to look through now…

                Thanks again,

                RAND

              • GARYGLS2000@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 2, 2005
                  Moyo, the database you are referring to is for the American Museum of Natural History, not the Metropolitan Museum of Art.