Bonjour from Parcours des Mondes in Paris!

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2006
      Bonjour from Paris!

      We arrived in Paris on the morning of the 12th and were lucky enough to be able to spend the day sight seeing with (member of the group) Vero. She was a most gracious host and we walked many miles yesterday around Paris and saw a lot of great things.

      Last night I walked around to a few of the galleries participating in Parcours des Mondes. I peeked into the doors of a few of the galleries where I knew the people and went in to see a sneak preview of the objects that will be on display.  It is interesting because most of the galleries have their windows covered with paper or other material so you can't see inside. Some of the galleries had windows that were blacked out and had small squares cut out so you could get a little sneak preview of what was inside, a lot of them were still busy setting up the objects and displays for the opening today.

      One of my favorite exhibitions so far from the show is the African maternity exhibition from the gallery that the name escapes me at the moment and I don't have my catalog at the computer. There were maternities from just about every part of the African continent with many from cultures that I had never seem maternity figures from and they were all wonderful, especially the maternity figure from Tanzania that was featured on the cover of their advertisement.

      Galerie Flak has a wonderful Mumuye exhibition that they started in June and last night when Julien Flak took me through their gallery he gave me a copy of the book that they published that accompanies the exhibition called "Mumuye" with the text by Francois Neyt. It's a wonderful book on the Mumuye and they have some nice Mumuye on display still.

      Tomorrow I will be visiting the Musee du quai Branly, we walked past it yesterday and despite all of the dissapointing things I've heard about it I am still excited to be able to see it.

      I've taken over 100 photos so far, and I'm sure by Sunday I'll have taken hundreds more and I will be very excited to share them with the group when I return. Lots of great object to see here!

      If you are in Paris, or are going to be in Paris for the show, send me an email and possibly we can arrange to meet. My hotel is right by all of the galleries in the show.