Native Arts of the World...At Home in Colorado - The Douglas Society Collects

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2006
      During the months of June, July and August I had the pleasure to work on an exhibition of African, Oceanic and American Indian art from local area collectors who are members of the Douglas Society which is a support group for the Native Arts Department of the Denver Art Museum.

      I was honored to be co-curator of the exhibition, it was the most exciting and at the same time the most frustrating thing I've ever worked on, but the outcome was really fantastic!

      The most enjoyable thing for me was the opportunity to meet with other local area collectors to view their collections as we were gathering objects for the exhibition. I was exposed to collections that were recently started to collections that have been amassed over decades. I always enjoy that human interaction with other collectors and it's great to see what others collect and how they live with the objects in their homes.

      The main focus of the exhibition was to raise the awareness and appreciation of the arts of these cultures. The other primary focus of the exhibition was to celebrate the collecting passions of the members of the Douglas Society. Why had a short program called "Why We Collect" in which a few members of the Douglas Society spoke about their respective collecting passions.

      The exhibition is housed in a dramatic two level lobby in the largest high-rise building in downtown Denver. While we were installing the objects for the exhibition we were constantly approached by people who worked in the building telling us that this was by far their favorite exhibition that has been presented in the building to date.

      The opening reception for the exhibition was August 25th and the exhibition runs for 2 months, it ends just after the opening of the Denver Art Museum expansion which is visually incredible. I'll post some photos from the new expansion and the new Daniel Yahannes African Art gallery in the expansion soon.

      I took a few photos from the opening reception of the Douglas Society exhibition and I wanted to share them with the group. The photos have been posted to the Douglas Society website which is linked below.