Re: [African_Arts] What museums to visit in Amsterdam?

  • LRubinstein@post.harvard.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 9, 2006
      Paisarn:

      Amsterdam's museums do not house any major African collections of which I am aware although there are stronger African offerings in museums in other Dutch locales --  Leiden* (http://www.rmv.nl/index.aspx?lang=en), Berg-en-Daal (http://www.afrikamuseum.nl/), Cadier-en-Keer (http://www.afrikacentrum.nl/), Rotterdam (http://www.wereldmuseum.nl/) and Oudenbosch (http://www.nvmoudenbosch.nl/summary.html) among others.  Natuurhistorisch en Vogelmuseum in Oudenbosch is currently featuring both traditional and contemporary Congolese works and a special exhibition on life along the Zaire River.  (*Note:  De Verre Volken -- a stupendous book source -- is located at the Rijksmuseum voor Volkenkunde in Leiden as well.)

      But if you prefer to stay in Amsterdam, I am sure you will find some African works -- traditional and contemporary -- for sale at Waterlooplein (the flea market) and in shops and galleries as well.  For example, there are gallery-lemaire, kalpadeboer.com and Gallery_RUTTEN -- which have web-sites.  Then, other Amsterdam galleries without web-sites include:

      Willem ZWIEP
      Kerkstraat, 149 hs
      1017 GG - AMSTERDAM
      phone +31(0)20.320.87.59
      Weds-Sat 12noon-5pm

      AALDERINK B.V. (M. Bouwan)
      Spiegelgracht, 15
      1017 JP - AMSTERDAM
      phone +31(0)20.623.02.11
      Tues-Sat 12noon-4:30pm

      ETHNOGRAPHICA (Frans Faber)
      Kunst Antiekcentrum de Looier, Stand E7
      Elandsgracht, 109
      1012 VC -- AMSTERDAM
      +31(0)651.171.356
      Closed on Friday

      Galerie VAN BUSSEL
      Lairessestraat, 165
      1075 HK - AMSTERDAM
      +31(0)20.671.34.33
      +31(0)20.664.14.50
      +31(0)624.222.688 Mobile
      BY APPOINTMENT

      (Above listings gleaned from TRIBAL ARTS Guide to Belgium and the Netherlands [ISBN 29600-39017]

      Also, these on-line directory pages below -- although not updated for some time -- may help you find some people and places of African-related interest (leading to sources through which to see and/or acquire art) amid the diverse African communities throughout the Netherlands.  Among the artists, restaurants, coffee bars, service organizations, etc., in Amsterdam alone, you will find paths leading toward communities from Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Senegal, the Gambia, Guinea, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Benin, Nigeria, Cameroon, DRCongo, Angola, Somalia, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Mozambique and the Comoros.  The directories can be searched in a number of ways.

      Perhaps these links will be helpful.  Lee
    • P L
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 15, 2006
        Hello group,

        Thank you very much, Lee and Paul, for your valuable directions.

        I found in the "major museums" section of the book Bacquart's Tribal Arts of Africa (1998): the Koninklijk Instituut vor den Tropen Museum (Royal Tropical Museum) listed for Amsterdam, and Museo Nazionale Preistorico Etnografico Luigi Pigorini listed for Rome. Has anyone been there and can confirm if the African collections are open to public/ worth visiting?

        Also in the same book, a dealer is listed for A'dam: Kunstandel van Bussel. Any idea?

        Thank you again. Will try to take pictures for our group, when/if I get to visit these places during my very short stay.

        Paisarn.

        LRubinstein@... wrote:
[...]

        Do you Yahoo!?