Interest and visibility and awareness in African art - a question to all

    Message 1 of 1 , May 20, 2005

      I have a question that I would like to throw out to the group�

      In your area of the country or world, what kind of local or regional events have you enjoyed that you feel has raised the visibility or interest in African art for you and others?

      Have they been museum exhibitions or gallery exhibitions? Have they been groups of local area collectors meeting to share their collections and discuss African art? Something else?

      If there have not been any events, what kind of events would you like to see happening in your area? What kind of events do you feel would be good for raising the interest or visibility in African art in your area?

      Some things that have truly inspired me recently have been some educational programs that have been done in schools around the country. In the small town in New Mexico that I grew up in, the elementary school that I went to that my mother now teaches at did a special class project where they learned about African masks and their meanings and uses. This was something that wasnt done when I grew up. It raises the awareness of the African cultures and some of their traditions. It plants the seed in these young people, and maybe someday that seed will turn into a collecting interest or even an academic pursuit!

      A few months ago a class of high school students from the Country Day School of the Sacred Heart embarked on a project where the students were required to find a nineteenth or twentieth century artifact and research its country or people of origin. I got a ton of emails from different students asking various questions and it was a fun interaction for me.

      The name of their project was � African Art in a Cultural Context, and they each group of students built web pages based on their items and their research. I thought it was a fantastic project and I emailed the teacher that put the project together and thanked her for her work. Below is a link to the home page for the project.

      http://students.cdssh.org/artifacts05/africanartindex.html

      I would love to hear from others about similar things they have come across or things that they would like to see happen to raise visibility and awareness of the African arts and cultures in their areas.

      Have a great weekend!

      RAND

      www.randafricanart.com