Re: [African_Arts] Re: original boni headrest

  • Deborah Ferrara
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 17, 2006
      Hi,

      If anyone is interested in this headrest please let me
      know by Friday, I have a couple of offers and I am
      going to sell it soon.

      Thank you.

      (http://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/subdisciplines/africa.htm

      http://www.randafricanart.com/Boni_headrest_Somalia.html

      > I always say that I do not think you can
      > definitively determine the
      > authenticity of an object from a photograph. From a
      > photograph you
      > can look at the style and other factors about an
      > object that will
      > come into play in the determination of authenticity
      > and these factors
      > will allow someone to make a judgment based on these
      > things. To get a
      > definitive answer on authenticity you would need to
      > have someone who
      > has had a lot of experience with these types of
      > objects look at it in
      > person and evaluate it.
      >
      > As for age, that is also something that is almost
      > impossible to tell
      > from a photograph in my opinion. There are older and
      > traditional
      > styles of objects, but these styles may have changed
      > over the years
      > due to different influences. Pre-colonial objects
      > compared to post-
      > colonial objects of the same type are one example of
      > this. Someone
      > with enough experience may know by looking at
      > examples of 2 similar
      > objects that one is carved in a style of a certain
      > period while the
      > other may be carved in a style from another period.
      > Without
      > documentation of field collection date, or dates of
      > acquisition by an
      > object's previous owner(s), age can only be guessed
      > in my opinion.
      > You also have to know the history of the particular
      > objects in
      > question. Based on field research, it may be able to
      > be determined
      > that specific objects may not have been made before
      > a particular
      > date.
      >
      > It's almost like, for purpose of making my point,
      > looking at an
      > American quarter. Over the years the styles on an
      > American quarter
      > have changed during different periods. If quarters
      > didn't have dates
      > on them, someone would be able to look at a group of
      > quarters in
      > different styles and say that each particular
      > quarter
      === message truncated ===

      http://mail.yahoo.com