Re: [African_Arts] Re: original boni headrest

  • Deborah Ferrara
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 7, 2006
      Thank you. I just wanted to say that the detail
      pictures make the wood look lighter than it is. I had
      to take them in bright sunlight to get the detail that
      day. If you click on the photos it will blow the
      picture up and you can see the details better.

      === message truncated ===

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Deborah Ferrara
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 17, 2006
        Hi,

        If anyone is interested in this headrest please let me
        know by Friday, I have a couple of offers and I am
        going to sell it soon.

        Thank you.

        (http://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/subdisciplines/africa.htm

        http://www.randafricanart.com/Boni_headrest_Somalia.html

        > I always say that I do not think you can
        > definitively determine the
        > authenticity of an object from a photograph. From a
        > photograph you
        > can look at the style and other factors about an
        > object that will
        > come into play in the determination of authenticity
        > and these factors
        > will allow someone to make a judgment based on these
        > things. To get a
        > definitive answer on authenticity you would need to
        > have someone who
        > has had a lot of experience with these types of
        > objects look at it in
        > person and evaluate it.
        >
        > As for age, that is also something that is almost
        > impossible to tell
        > from a photograph in my opinion. There are older and
        > traditional
        > styles of objects, but these styles may have changed
        > over the years
        > due to different influences. Pre-colonial objects
        > compared to post-
        > colonial objects of the same type are one example of
        > this. Someone
        > with enough experience may know by looking at
        > examples of 2 similar
        > objects that one is carved in a style of a certain
        > period while the
        > other may be carved in a style from another period.
        > Without
        > documentation of field collection date, or dates of
        > acquisition by an
        > object's previous owner(s), age can only be guessed
        > in my opinion.
        > You also have to know the history of the particular
        > objects in
        > question. Based on field research, it may be able to
        > be determined
        > that specific objects may not have been made before
        > a particular
        > date.
        >
        > It's almost like, for purpose of making my point,
        > looking at an
        > American quarter. Over the years the styles on an
        > American quarter
        > have changed during different periods. If quarters
        > didn't have dates
        > on them, someone would be able to look at a group of
        > quarters in
        > different styles and say that each particular
        > quarter
        === message truncated ===

        http://mail.yahoo.com