Re: [African_Arts] Maternal figure at airport

  • LRubinstein@post.harvard.edu
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 15, 2006
      Dear KiKi:

      If you are inquiring about the figure visible on the link Ari provided -- http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/austinairport/cultural.htm -- the figure that is visible from the side is a Dogon figure in the Bombu-Toro style of the southern cliff region.  Interestingly, you refer to the figure as female while the caption indicates male.  From the side view it is not possible to determine the gender conclusively. Consistent with other documented examples from the region, it is indeed possible that the figure displays elements associated both with male and female forms.  As you will note in the Dogon primordial pair accessible on the Met web-site, for example,  the appearance of an appended chin is often misconstrued as the presence of a beard, when it is in fact more likely meant to portray an ornamental labret on the female form.
      See:

      Lee

    • Ki Ki Dowd
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 16, 2006
        Dear Lee,

        Thank you for your prompt reply, but the figure I saw has conical brests and what appears to be a baby attached around the waist.  There is no labeling referring to the statue which in comparison to the man walking past must be huge!

        Many thanks,

        Ki Ki

        LRubinstein@... wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Football ’06 - Go with the leader. Start your league today!

      • LRubinstein@post.harvard.edu
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 16, 2006
          Kiki:

          The figure with the conical breasts and the wrapped child is the Dogon figure to which I was referring.  There is a "caption" in the text to the left which identifies it as a male figure.  However, in spite of my inclination not to conclude too quickly without a fuller view that allows eliminating the possibility of a hermaphroditic/androgynous figure, the presence of the child does likely suggest that the figure is indeed female.  In spite of the staggering preponderance of maternity figures, paternity figures are nearly non-existent.  (Does anyone have, know of or see any exceptions???)

          In any case, in spite of the convolutions of my mind, we are referring to the same figure and it is Dogon.For links to images from the Dogon region, etc, see Message_429.

          Sorry for any confusion!  Lee