Re: [African_Arts] 2 new items added to my photo album. Can anyone offer any information?

  • Veronique Martelliere
    Message 1 of 4 , May 8, 2006
      Hello Jeffrey,
      I think that the mask is not African - but from Papua New Guinea and probably from the Sepik area.
      Véro

      painter38 <painter38@...> wrote:
      Hello all:

      As my primary collecting obsession has been Art Pottery, I was summoned
      to the home of a local artist friend Friday evening to assist with
      preparations for a weekend yard sale. There being about 25 pieces of
      pottery that I culled and saved from being given away for 50 cents
      each. While there, my friend mentioned that she had just received some
      belongings of her recently deceased father who was a local artist and
      world traveler. Among these items were two African pieces that he had
      acquired sometime in the 1950-s - 1960's era when he was on his journey
      of self discovery. I am not familar with these styles and am not even
      sure as to the purpose of the thin 4 foot tall piece. I do not care for
      the mask personally...it looks a bit dodgy. Poor symmetry and a bit
      crude. I told her I would do some research and try to give her some
      information on these pieces. Thanks as always for your time and
      assistance!

      Photos of the 2 objects can be seen in my folder "Goods from the hood"

      the photos are entitled "mask" and "figure"

      Jeffrey

    • toguna2002
      Message 2 of 4 , May 8, 2006
        Your mask is a Karan-Wemba-mask from the Mossi in Burkina Faso
      • Jan De Clerck
        Message 3 of 4 , May 9, 2006
          Your mask is indeed Mossi. A similar (but qualitatively uncomparable)
          mask was sold in the last Tribal Art auction of Lempertz
          (Cologn/Brussels). Check out their website. The catalogue is online, linked below.

          http://www.globallot.de/kat_ansicht.asp?an=%c2%885&inusnr==k102640&name1==Kunsthaus+Lempertz
          cheers,Jan

          --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, "painter38" <painter38@...>
          wrote:

          > Hello all:
          >
          > As my primary collecting obsession has been Art Pottery, I was
          summoned
          > to the home of a local artist friend Friday evening to assist with
          > preparations for a weekend yard sale. There being about 25 pieces
          of
          > pottery that I culled and saved from being given away for 50 cents
          > each. While there, my friend mentioned that she had just received
          some
          > belongings of her recently deceased father who was a local artist
          and
          > world traveler. Among these items were two African pieces that he
          had
          > acquired sometime in the 1950-s - 1960's era when he was on his
          journey
          > of self discovery. I am not familar with these styles and am not
          even
          > sure as to the purpose of the thin 4 foot tall piece. I do not care
          for
          > the mask personally...it looks a bit dodgy. Poor symmetry and a bit
          > crude. I told her I would do some research and try to give her some
          > information on these pieces. Thanks as always for your time and
          > assistance!
          >
          > Photos of the 2 objects can be seen in my folder "Goods from the
          hood"

          b=&m==t&o==0