Re: [African_Arts] An Igbo Mmwo Link I Foolishly Omitted

  • LRubinstein@post.harvard.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22 6:06 AM
      Alison:

      In my haste and absent-minded state, I failed to include a link to a very fine relevant article that will help give some context for and direction to your inquiry into Igbo Mmwo masks.  I apologize to you -- and the article's author! -- for the omission in my earlier posting.  However, it remains -- regardless of timing -- an insightful resource for further considering masks of this class as well as in formulating a general approach to exploring each new class of objects that capture one's interest, passion, curiosity...

      See John Monroe's article, "Igbo 'Beautiful Maiden' Masks," which was originally posted on Steve Price's Tribal Art Forum in September, 2004:

      Also, to help illustrate the discussion in the article regarding the relationship of the textile costume to the mask, here is a link to an image of a complete masquerade ensemble from the Brighton Museum (East Sussex, UK):
      (Incidentally, there is a current exhibition at the Hove Museum [also in East Sussex, I believe] featuring Bogolanfini , Malian mud cloth through July 2:  http://www.hove.virtualmuseum.info/exhibitions/bogolan.asp )