Can you help to identify the following objects?

  • brierleyalison
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 21, 2006
      Hi Group! I hope we find you well!
      Can anyone help to identify the following objects? I have posted them
      in Alison & Eduardo's folder, under the titles ?????1 & ?????2.

      Thank you.

      Alison & Eduardo
    • LRubinstein@post.harvard.edu
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 21, 2006
        Dear Alison:

        Re:  ?????1

        ?????2 will require a bit of time and analysis to narrow down its origins, although -- briefly and broadly --  it appears to have elements suggestive of an origin along the Western Guinea Coast between Liberia and Ghana, I think...

        ?????1 is easier and will require the preparation of necessary beverages before you sit down to explore the site which will illuminate the mask and the broader field of Igbo and Southeastern Nigerian cultural traditions.  (Sorry.  I should have recommended this beverage break before the museumcam.org site as well!)

        The "creme de la creme" of sites which will give you insight into these Igbo Mmwo (Maiden Spirit) masks is the G.I. Jones Photographic Archive at http://mccoy.lib.siu.edu/jmccall/jones/ .

        Lee
      • Alison Brierley
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 21, 2006
          Thank you!

          I have trawled through your suggested links, and many other links relating
          to the maiden spirit masks, including Rands, and have copied/pasted lots to
          read later on!!

          I still havn't found an example similar in appearance to mine, but i now
          belive it to be authentic. Thanks.

          The one i have is very dusty/ dirty, but underneath all the 'muck' i can see
          beautiful coloured decorations. I have also read the many comments on
          whether 'to clean, or not to clean' on our messages board, and have decided
          to keep it in its natural state, although i have decided to clean it gently
          with a soft brush to reveal the beautiful colouring it has.

          Thanks again, i look forward to your comments on the other piece that i
          posted tonight, but i can study no more as your beverage suggestion meant i
          indulged in a fantastic bottle of Tempus Two, Pinot Gris......Thanks
          again...lol.

          Regards

          Alison