"Headdress" in metal

  • Veronique Martelliere
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2006
      Here are 2 headdresses in metal supposed to be worn by women... but women from where in Africa ?
      At the bottom of each branch of the objects are holes in which one still has hanging pearls to make a "hearring" effect. One of the hairdress still has these pearls.
      Thank you !
      Véro

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2006
          HI Vero
          Unfortunately we did not get to meet whilst I was in lagos I called several times but later I realized you were probably out of town I was really looking forward to meeting you well we will get the chance again someday i am sure.

          I think I was offered the same headrest whilst I was in lagos but the dealer told me they were also used as currency and he put the region as the middle belt of Nigeria probably Taraba. I did not buy them because he had some other metal pieces which I bought
          Have a nice day
          Godfrey
        • Veronique Martelliere
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4, 2006
            The question I asked about these headdresses was on behalf of a seller in Lagos with whom I often have interesting conversations (about african art, in general) and who likes to know what he is selling. He has no clue about the provenance of these headrests - which I did not buy - and, for learning, I also would like to know.

            As you know, as a substitute to a meeting with you in Lagos, I received messages from your friend, Martin Akanbiemu* and from his friend Ton Cremers. The content of these mailings, added to yours, and with my own messages as an introduction, are very interesting documents that I keep and share widely. Very enlightening about.... well : thank you for that.

            Véronique

            * "Secretary General of the Museum Association of Nigeria" - and also the customer you were refering to in one of your posts ?