6174African Carving of old man smoking a pipe

  • tamlyn31
    Mar 7, 2013
      Hi All,

      I live in SA at the moment, however was born in Zimbabwe and grew up between Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Zambia. I love African Art and love collecting one-off pieces, now I don't know a lot, but I know a nice and one-off piece when I see one. Not one of these mass produced things for the tourists.

      I acquired this piece because I loved it at first sight. I was just wondering if anyone can help me with the following questions:

      a) From what region is it from?
      b) What wood is it made of?

      I have added a picture, however it was before I oiled and cleaned it up, so the wood is a lot darker now it has been treated. ( I am having bluetooth problems with my tablet.)The outer 4/6 cm of would is yellow, like the yellow wood found in Knysna, but the inner is very dark. It is about 1 m heigh by 250/300 cm wide. It weighs about 50kgs.

      Kind Regards
      Tamlynb
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic