6150Re: luba (?)

  • hugodeboom@ymail.com
    Feb 18, 2013
      Paul

      Yes, maybe Tshokwe.But I've never seen this before and cannot find it in my books.

      It is collected +-1930 by someone who lived and worked in Katanga. You see the head (on both sides a face): up two bullets - foto4 - And 2 holes where were also bullets I think. Mouth: on one side there remain two tooths.
      Under (the 'neck') you see a kind of pin, I think horn. The head is very hard, but not stone or ceramic (maybe some kind of resin yes???) and +- heavy.
      As you can see the pin is realy sharp, like it needs to be sticked somewhere.

      Thx, kindest regards

      hugo

      --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, Paul DeLucco <pauldelucco@...> wrote:

      > Hugo,
      >
      > Is this made of resin? If so, it could be a Tshokwe power object. The horn is normally concealed by animal skin. The resin figure is studded with beads and very small horns filled with cult material. I don't believe the Luba used objects made of resin.
      >
      > -Paul

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic