5682Re: [African_Arts] Has anyone seen anything like this before?

  • RPearsonpe@aol.com
    Jan 18, 2012
      Bizarre. Were the foot and bird attached separately ? Could it be an old African Proverb ? I am reminded of sayings such as:
      1. Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest, and
      2. "If the Foo (bird) shits, wear it".

      My input is not much help, but great photos of an interesting piece.

      bob

      In a message dated 1/18/2012 6:44:45 A.M. Mountain Standard Time, ann@... writes:

      Hello all,

      I am writing this time to request help in identifying a piece that I collected some years ago.
      It came from the collection of a Lega dealer who always found some really good pieces.
      I was told that it is Pende but have never been able to verify what it is nor how it may have been used.
      I do wonder if it may be Kuba or another group from the area.
      The wood is old, reasonably hard but light weighing a little less than 2kg with fairly extensive dry rot and a little termite damage.
      Measures 68 x 32 cm

      I have attempted without any luck to find more information about this piece. I think that it is authentic and quite old.
      I do have reference to a 2 footed Luba mask on page 266 of Africa, Tribal art of Forrest and Savannah by Arnold Bamert.
      This piece is also included with an image in http://www.anthroposys.be/LubamasquesfauvesVolper.pdf
      on Page 8

      I have posted images to my Flickr page:
      Do hope that someone can help.