5271Re: Unknown Tribal Figure

  • asiantrekker
    Feb 6, 2011
      Hi,

      It definitely looks East African to me, Kenyan in particular. At first glance, the figure appears Maasai, especially the neck decoration. But I don't think the Maasai carve figures. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

      The most likely attribution is Kamba whose low three-legged stools also match the one seen here. This figure is probably a recent production, because the style is very unlike the old Kamba figures or colonial ones.

      On the other hand, it could be carved by Makonde carvers in nearby Tanzania, who are famous for creating new genres.

      Paisarn

      --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, Pauline Walker <paulinewalker2@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      > I have just joined your group and
      > I was wondering if you can help me, I am new to collecting tribal art, and
      > have been given this figure, pictures attached. The wood is quite heavy and
      > the figure is approx.15 cm high and 10cm across.Can you tell me if it is
      > tribal or just a touristy thing. I have been looking at your website which I
      > found fascinating. I cannot find any tribe that carves this shaped head. I
      > really would appreciate your knowlege in identifying him.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Pauline Walker.

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic