      From: doc47 <davidzl_2000@...>
      To: African_Arts@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 6:53 pm
      Subject: [African_Arts] More than Walking sticks?

      Interesting discussion on Gullah culture. Thanks. In terms of survival
      of carving wouldn't voodoo dolls be a survival? Are there examples
      from the US?

      Now, to my subject:
      While I was in West Africa I noticed many homes where the men owned
      walking sticks or canes. Some were carved, others plain. In one man's
      house there were probably a dozen or so, all showing evidence of age
      and use. I asked about them and the gentleman indicated that some were
      walking sticks but hinted that others were more than that; that they
      held some sort of power.

      Can anyone enlighten me on this?

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic