2841Re: Extensive African art exhibit, 'Masquerade,' on display at UCM's library until Feb. 28 | digitalBURG.com

  • Steve Price
    Jan 15, 2008
      Hi Lee

      I think the red herring in the trail is the phrase "authentic African
      art". It leads to the idea that if it's art (whatever
      that means) that was made in Africa, then, of course, it's
      authentic African art. But that's hardly ever the issue to a
      collector. He's not collecting something because it's made in
      Africa, he's collecting it because he thinks it's Fang, or Baule, or
      Bamana, or Songye, or Yoruba, or ... well, you get the idea. If it's
      made in Cameroon to look like Fang, it's not authentic Fang art. If
      he paid the price of an old Fang byeri for something carved in
      Cameroon last month, he was defrauded.

      Now, I understand that some contemporary African artisans are not
      part of a chain leading from carver to marketplace with intent to
      defraud. But the overwhelming majority of the African art in the
      marketplace is made in Africa, but not for local use or by the
      peoples who traditionally make and use them. Right this minute there
      are 1500 items listed in the eBay
      category "Antiques/Ethnographic/African". Probably 90+%
      are represented as being at least 40 years old, have age-related
      features (holes, wood rot, abraded surfaces patination, for example)
      and are claimed to be ritually used pieces made by carvers of tribes
      who traditionally made and used carvings of that style. If those
      claims are true for even 5%, I'd be amazed. Claiming that things are
      not what they actually are for the purpose of enhancing their market
      value is fraud, pure and simple. This is not to deny that some
      talented carvers create excellent sculpture in Africa. But to
      pretend that this negates the rampant fakery is self-deception.

      That's my story, and I'm sticking with it.

      Steve Price

      --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, Lee Rubinstein
      <LeeRubinstein@...> wrote:

> [...]
      and
      > > works "'inspired by African art'," where is the line drawn, and by
      > > whom? By what criteria are these lines drawn to validate or
      > > disqualify works created in Africa by African artisans as
      authentic
      > > African art?"
      > >
      > > A Cameroonian can make a byeri figure, patinate it, stick its
      base in
      > > the ground for a couple of weeks to cause some rotting and
      erosion.
      > > He will be paid by someone who will represent the figure as an old
      > > Fang reliquary guardian and sell it in the west. The item is
      > > authentically African, and if it warrants being called art, it's
      > > authentic African art. Who cares? The only thing that's important
      > > is that it isn't a Fang reliquary guardian. That makes it a
      forgery,
      > > whether it was made in Africa or Asia.
      > >
      > > A forgery of a Rolex isn't an authentic Rolex. Who cares whether
      it
      > > was made in Switzerland or in China? The only thing that's
      important
      > > is that it isn't a Rolex. That makes it a forgery.
      > >
      > > Steve Price
      > >
      > > --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, Lee Rubinstein
      > > <LeeRubinstein@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > A number of questions are prompted by the contributions offered
      > > thus
      > > > far in considering this issue. Some of these questions that come
      > > > mind pertain to the need for clarification regarding just how
      the
      > > > objects in the exhibition from which this conversation stems are
      > > > indeed being framed and presented. I myself have not seen
      > > sufficient
      > > > information to understand fully what claims have been made
      > > regarding
      > > > the authenticity of works or what definition of authenticity has
      > > or
      > > > has not been applied to the works presented in this exhibition.
      > > Does
      > > > anyone have further information?
      > > >
      > > > Also, more generally, in seeking to distinguish between "African
      > > art"
      > > > and works "'inspired by African art'," where is the line drawn,
      > > and
      > > > by whom? By what criteria are these lines drawn to validate or
      > > > disqualify works created in Africa by African artisans as
      > > authentic
      > > > African art? While I do recognize that one may wish to
      > > > differentiate between authenticated ritual objects and
      > > reproductions
      > > > thereof, this distinction regarding ritual authenticity is not
      one
      > > > and the same as the distinction regarding that which is
      > > authentically
      > > > African. Authenticity does not by all definitions exclude modern
      > > > reproductions as part of the broader field of African art. The
      > > > complexity of the issue and the range of sub-fields within
      African
      > > > art production make this a challenging endeavor indeed. A good
      > > > illustrative instance that speaks to this point is the confusion
      > > that
      > > > equates age with authenticity. The continued creation of ritual
      > > > objects that satisfy the requirements of ritual authenticity --
      > > but
      > > > which do not adhere to the age requirements that constitutes the
      > > > preferred definition of authenticity held by some -- occupy an
      > > > ambiguous, contested terrain. Artistic production as an
      > > expression
      > > > of evolving cultures and societies both changes form and
      > > integrates
      > > > new media. As a case in point, I invite respondents to consider
      > > and
      > > > classify the paintings presented in these articles previously
      > > shared
      > > > by Moyo:
      > > http://www.universityofafricanart.org/Image/Text/afilaka.pdf
      > > > and http://www.universityofafricanart.org/Image/Text/
      > > > beautifiers3.pdf. Although markedly divergent from the form
      > > broadly
      > > > associated with "classical" imposed definitions of African art,
      > > does
      > > > one -- and if so, on what basis does one -- disqualify the
      > > ritually
      > > > authentic works from the body of authentic African art when the
      > > > ritual context in which they are created is indeed documented?
      > > >
      > > > Another significant question (or complex of questions) pertains
      > > > the issue of where misidentification and misrepresentation
      > > > originate. As committed as I am to the pursuit of Truth -- and
      > > > the clarification of which Truth is being defended at any given
      > > > moment, I can't help but to seek an understanding of the
      > > motivations
      > > > behind reproduction and to underline once more the ambiguities
      of
      > > > intent which are often attached to the creation of
      reproductions.
      > > > Among the most interesting situations to consider in this regard
      > > is
      > > > the discussion of the Konaté blacksmith clan provided by
      > > Christopher
      > > > Roy in the essay "Centers of Style of African Sculpture" in Art
      > > and
      > > > Life in Africa: Selections from the Stanley Collection,
      > > Exhibitions
      > > > of 1985 and 1992. Roy recounts the history of these carvers now
      > > > residing in Ouri, Burkina Faso. The Konatés in Ouri are of Mande
      > > > origin and migrated in preceding generations from the Mandé area
      > > of
      > > > Mali to Ouri, Burkina Faso via Kapo (a Bobo village) and Ouakara
      > > (a
      > > > Bwa-Marka-Dafing town) and continue to carve masks in Ouri for
      mask-

      > > > owning clans of neighboring villages of the Nuna, Marka Dafing,
      Ko
      > > > and Bwa. (One member of the family migrated further to Nouna and
      > > > carves for Bwa and Bobo-Fing clients in that area of
      northwestern
      > > > Burkina Faso). The point to which I am leading are illustrated
      > > > through these passages:
      > > >
      > > > "Not only does the Konaté family in Ouri produce objects for
      five
      > > > major neighboring groups, they also produce large numbers of
      masks
      > > > for the tourist trade in Ouagadougou. They refer to these as
      > > > 'copies,' and are able to distinguish clearly between
      traditional
      > > > masks for use by local villagers, and tourist 'copies to be sold
      > > in
      > > > Ouagadougou. They distinguish between them on the basis of
      style,
      > > > quality, and whether or not the necessary sacrifices were done
      > > during
      > > > the carving process -- sacrifices which make a traditional mask
      > > > function effectively." (p. 5)
      > > >
      > > > "The active Konaté sculptors are able to distinguish the
      > > > characteristics of the five styles in which they carve, and will
      > > > point to the foliate patterns that radiate from the eyes of a
      Nuna
> [...]
      > > > production is often undertaken. As it is indeed challenging to
      > > > distinguish among objects, so too is it a broad stroke to
      > > attribute
      > > > the negative, deceptive intent which arises through market-
      > > motivated
      > > > greed to all participants in the process of creating
      > > reproductions.
      > > > Controlling and exacting value from African-originated
      commodities
      > > > (minerals, oil, art...) is among the most significant challenges
      > > in
      > > > African economic development. Relocating value-addition to the
      > > > product before it leaves the continent and thus contributing
      more
      > > > African economies remains, I think, the great challenge in all
      > > fields
      > > > of global trade of products from Africa. Within the realm of art
      > > > both African and non-African, there is considerable room for
      > > > improvement in the way in which financial gains are apportioned
      > > > between artists and purveyors as well.
      > > >
      > > > Returning to the realm of curatorial responsibility to identify
      > > and
      > > > present accurately works on exhibition, anyone who has mounted
      an
      > > > exhibition or sought to document conclusively a previously
      > > > undocumented object recognizes the challenges inherent in these
      > > > undertakings. Suggesting (perhaps hyperbolically) that "Had they
      > > > opened any decent book on African art they would have seen a
      > > dramatic
      > > > difference between the illustrated works and the claptrap they
      > > chose
      > > > for their exhibition" presumes wrongly, I think, that what might
      > > > become clear to a more experienced eye is so obvious at first
      > > glance
      > > > or with a minimal effort. While I appreciate the emotion and
      idea
      > > > behind the suggestion, the fact that all our combined hours and
      > > years
      > > > of exploration still barely scrape the surfaces of even one mere
      > > > corner of this vast field might provide a fair reminder that as
      > > > evolves the art, so too evolves the eye and the understanding of
      > > it.
      > > > Again, many museums have neither the human nor the financial
      > > > resources to provide the curatorial expertise suggested here.
      > > >
      > > > Still, the offense taken and the suggestion of the wide
      > > availability
      > > > of "honorable pieces" and "collectors who would be glad to share
      > > > their treasures" reminds me of the persistence of political and
      > > > economic machinations that frame the process through which works
      > > are
      > > > indeed allowed -- or disallowed from -- public exhibition.
      > > > Personally, though to a limited extent, I have engaged in
      efforts
      > > > engage various institutions in exhibitions of works which have
      > > > included well-documented, authenticated and even canonical
      African
      > > > works to be met with resistance stemming from what I perceive to
      > > be
      > > > politics of social and economic exclusion and a limited body of
      > > > individuals seeking to control the flow of objects and ideas.
      > > > Efforts continue to be made to maintain a culture of exclusion
      and
      > > > exclusivity that insists upon limiting public presentation to
      > > objects
      > > > belonging to certain institutions and/or to a limited sphere of
      > > > collectors who are also institutional patrons and benefactors.
      In
      > > > many ways the museum community often appears to be as eagerly
      > > > committed to the same control of value as is evidenced in the
      > > > commercial realm. Ideally, this is just a rough patch in the
      > > West's
      > > > transitioning African material culture from the ethnographic to
      > > the
      > > > aesthetic.

      > > and
      I see