2791Re: [African_Arts] BAUILE FIGURINES

  • aaron ellsworth
    Dec 28, 2007
      HI ED,   THANKS FOR LETTING ME LOOK AT YOUR PICTURE!  THEY ARE VERY SIMILAR TO THE ONES I HAVE!  DO YOU HAVE THIS PAIR IN YOUR COLLECTION?  THANKS....AARON

      Ed Jones <bucit@...> wrote:
      Hello Aron.
      I have a pair of Baule figures in my fold named "bucit". [http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/African_Arts/photos/browse/d47a]; You are welcome to peruse and view them.  However, I never heard of such a thing because of the 2 principle uses of these figures.  Susan Vogel has a quite detailed and informative book about the Baule tribes ... you may as well know that among so much blurbs to thesis writings about this interesting tribe of peoples, there is conflicting data.  One will discover this as they embark along the journey of the arts with African art (as well anything else).

      Anyway,
      I hope this is helpful.

      Ed

      aaron ellsworth <rnllswrth@...> wrote:
      HELLO,  I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF IS IT COMMON TO FIND LARGE BAUILE WOOD FIGURINES?  THE ONES I HAVE ARE OVER 5 FEET TALL AND VERY DETAILED!!!  I WAS TOLD THEY ARE ABOUT 75 YEARS OLD!  I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT BAUILE PIECES WERE COMMONLY SMALL HIGHLY DETAILED PIECES!  THANKS FOR ANY COMMENTS.... .I CAN LIST PHOTOS TOO FOR ANYONE THAT IS INTERESTED IN SEEING SUCH PIECES!   I BELIEVE THEY ARE MUSUEM QUALITY!  THANKS....AARON