1523Re: [African_Arts] Re: I hope this will be fun...

  • William Klebous
    Oct 10, 2006
      Doug, there is absolutely no doubt that those
      ebay figures match both mine and the ones in
      the book I have here. However according to
      this book (done in association with the Metropolitan
      Museum of Art) these figures are neither Asante nor
      Akan nor any group from that geographical area
      (though I agree this is a very reasonable guess).

      The book backs up its identification with some
      fairly strong documentation, so at this point I
      definitely still have to go with what the book says.

      But what a great catch on your part to have
      discovered (remembered?) those figures on ebay,
      since they are apparently rare.

      WK

      --- drohrman <drohrman@...> wrote:

      > Hi William:
      >
      > A good one, William. I am betting it is an Asante
      > Akua'ba from Ghana.
      > The flatness of the figure from the side, and the
      > headdress seem to
      > comport with larger Akua'bas, related to the famous
      > moon-faced
      > fertility dolls and the flat rectangular two legged
      > variety. These
      > dolls/figures are, as you likely know, given in
      > celebration to women
      > who have had trouble in childbirth or who have been
      > previously
      > infertile (Akua) and finally become pregnant/deliver
      > a baby ('ba).
      > Also, there are a number of well-done modern Akan
      > pieces on the
      > market with the curious upslanting eyes...but I
      > think that is not
      > where I would go on this one.
      >
      > Here is a recent Ebay auction sale photo:
      >
      > http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      > ViewItem&category=28221&item=6632718344#la-image-1
      >
      > http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      > ViewItem&category=28221&item=6632718344#la-image-2
      >
      > That is my best guess. Others?
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Doug
      >
      > --- In African_Arts@yahoogroups.com, William Klebous
      > <klebous@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I hope this will be fun, because it definitely
      > > is relevant to this discussion of aesthetics, age,
      >
      > > and authenticity...
      > >
      > > I've uploaded three pics of an object I bought
      > > about fifteen years ago, at an antique shop
      > > I frequented in NYC. The owner, although
      > > not super-knowledgable, did have a good eye
      > > for picking out old tribal things at the NYC
      > > estate sales he frequented, and it was not
      > > unusual for up-market dealers to be in his
      > > shop for the same reason I was, to get lucky
      > > and get something good and relatively
      > inexpensive...
      > >
      > > While I did get lucky there a few times, much
      > > more often there would be anomalous objects
      > > which nobody was quite sure about, and sometimes,
      > > if it was cheap enough, I'd roll the dice and buy
      > > one of these anomalies...
      > >
      > > This object is one of those. It is 16 inches
      > tall.
      > > My guess was that it was from the South Pacific,
      > and
      > > over time I thought my research was doing a pretty
      >
      > > good job of narrowing it down to probably Fiji...
      > >
      > > But one day while paging through an African art
      > > book, oh my God! There it was: three undeniably
      > > super-similar documented examples from a
      > > specific African tribe/nation from a specific
      > > time period. There was no doubt about it...
      > >
      > > I've since looked in dozens more reference books
      > > covering this region and have yet to find any
      > > other example, although I do not spend as much
      > > time in libraries as I used to. So its possible in
      >
      > > the last five years more has been published, in
      > which
> [...]

      On Yahoo!7
      Men's Health: What music do you want to hear on Men's Health Radio?
      http://www.menshealthmagazine.com.au/
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic