1117Re: [African_Arts] Tookalook gallery

    Apr 28, 2006
      (Sorry to the people who may have received this message and my response in the David's group as well)

      Jan,
      It's always a sticky subject talking about "dealers" in discussion groups like this. I'm sure you can understand why.

      Tookalook carries a range of objects to appeal to a variety of collectors.

      Some of these objects have histories through places like Sotheby's, J.J. Klejman, Dave De Roche Gallery, Michael Hamson, Julius Carlbach, Ernst Anspach and more. Then there are some objects I'm sure he acquires just because he likes them, and these objects don't have any histories through major collections or galleries, but they are still nice objects at reasonable prices.

      Most of the objects in the second category may end up on eBay, because that is a market place that caters to these objects best, and you will find the more significant pieces offered through his website. Being a dealer in African and or Oceanic art is complicated, you can choose to sell only higher end pieces and cater to that market or you can choose to only sell mid/lower end pieces and cater to that market, but offering a little bit of all doesn't limit you and allows you cater to a wider range that way.

      If you are interested in something from any dealer it's always good to look around at what else is out there on the market, put together a list of comparable objects and possibly get a second opinion from a neutral source to help you make your decision.

      In my opinion, the owner of Tookalook gallery is a very nice person, and someone I trust and respect. If you ask him a question he is quick to respond and is very helpful and informative. All of my dealings with Tookalook have been very positive, and people that I refer to the gallery have also had positive experiences.

      I hope that helps,

[...]

      Jan De Clerck <jandeclerck@...> wrote:
      Hello group,

      Interested to know if some of you might have experiences in dealing
      with Tookalook, a Canadian (Montreal I believe) based gallery who
      regularly sells on eBay also (although mostly in the somewhat higher
      price ranges). His website:
      http://www.tookalook.com/welcome.htm
      Came across several interesting offerings of his on eBay. However I
      notice a mix of offerings both of the 'late 20th century' pieces as
      the 'early 20th century reasonable provenance included' pieces.

      Anyone able to advice?

      Thanks,Jan

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic