Re: Re : [AfricaVision] Re: Paediatric Cataract Initiative seeks applicants for inaugural research grant

  • Ebongo Nanje
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 10, 2010
      Dear all,
      I had been pondering over this issue and hence my silence. Finally, i have enough material with which we can contribute from the Souh West Eye Care programme, Cameroon.
      Pls do find a way to slaught us in the PCI study.
      Thanks.
      Ebongo Zachs nanje,
      Ophthalmologist i/c,
      Kumba Eye Care Zone,
      South West Eye Care Programme,Cameroon.

      From: EPEE Emilienne <epee40@...>
      To: AfricaVision@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, 22 September, 2010, 15:15

      De : Henry <hnkumbe@...>
      À : AfricaVision@yahoogroups.com
      Envoyé le : Mar 21 septembre 2010, 19h 00min 26s

      Dear Colleagues,

      Given the dearth of clinical research information on causes of and paediatric cataract management in Africa, would this call for proposals justify a multi-centre study on paediatric cataract in Africa?

      Just a few statistics to back this question:

      A recently published survey of 27 Child Eye Health Facilities in Africa showed that 21 of these centres performed 1,368 surgeries for non traumatic cataract in children aged less than 16 in 2007. These surgeries were performed by fellowship trained paediatric ophthalmologists. If we take in to account some of the very experienced non-fellowship trained paediatric oriented ophthalmologists, who regularly operate on children, then my guestimate would be of at least 2,000 paediatric cataract surgeries performed in our countries each year.

      So, what is my point?

      1.) We have the numbers in terms of paediatric cataract surgeries (2000 is not bad, though still far from perfect).

      2.) We have, as already mentioned, very skilled and experienced clinicians, many of them on this forum.

      3.) We have some world class ophthalmic epidemiologists from Africa, some of them on this forum.

      4.) We have on this forum colleagues, with experience preparing killer proposals for the most competitive grants!

      5.) We are hungry for knowledge and evidence base for our clinical and public health decisions!

      So, what is stopping us?

      A few months ago, there was talk of a multi-centre study on ROP, here beckons another opportunity for collaborative work!!

      One of the reasons that kept on coming during the ICO-MEACO ALG trainings and recently at WOC Berlin, for not having enough research from Africa, was that most of the persons concerned were excellent clinicians in their own right, but needed seasoned researchers (epidemiologists, statisticians, grant writers etc. to get them going).

      We need to provide the VISION 2020 evidence base to IAPB, ICO etc., not the other way round!

      Now we have all these resource people networked on AfricaVision - let's get cracking!

      Cheers,

      Henry Nkumbe
      Antananarivo
      Madagascar

      --- In AfricaVision@yahoogroups.com, Henry Nkumbe <hnkumbe@...> wrote:

      > Paediatric Cataract Initiative seeks applicants for inaugural research grant
      >

      > ThePaediatric Cataract Initiative is now accepting applicants for its inaugural
      > single small research grant. US$75,000 will be awarded to a qualified
      > individual, institution or organization investigating the causes of paediatric
      > cataract and/or improved treatment tools and protocols. The submission deadline
      > is November 15, 2010.
      > The grant is intended to support innovative research that can be carried out in
      > 12 months with limited resources. Applicants may submit more than one proposal
      > provided that each is scientifically distinct. Please visit
      > www.pediatriccataract.org/grant_funding.html to download the complete request
      > for proposals.
      > The newly founded Paediatric Cataract Initiative is a partnership between the
      > Bausch + Lomb Early Vision Institute and Lions Clubs International Foundation
      > to identify, fund and promote innovative methods of overcoming
      > paediatriccataract - a debilitating childhood condition that clouds the eye's
      > natural lens - for the long-term benefit of children, their families and their
      > communities.

      Very good idea!  I support it
      just that MR Albano  has not yet sent to docs for application we are very much interrested
      the ROP study is also being carried out together with a few other centers this is also  possible
      Epée