Re: [Adria-Umbria] Re: Garb at Fighter Practice

  • Marty March
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2011
      Just my two pennies...

      Back when I was able to attend fighter practice (Lo, these many moons ago!), I managed to attend wearing my normal work-a-day wear...but would cover it with a tabard (which I either borrowed from Beithar, or made).

      Since my mundane schedule (Curse Wal-Mart, forever!!!) doesn't allow me to show up for practice, I don't really have much input that can be considered worthwhile...except that, had it not been for the outgoing personalities of many of the players, and the willingness of those people to express their love of the game, I would have shown up to watch a "sporting event" (which my brother was participating in), and would have been happy to know that he had found something to interest him.

      Having been able to participate in fighter practice, and a couple of events, I sorely wish that I could attend more of both. I have managed to obtain garb cheaply, both borrowed (Thanks, Geatano!! I'll get those back to you, eventually!), and bought/given to me (Thanks, Beithar!! I WILL manage to get to a feast, someday...if only so I can have an excuse to wear the "William Shakespeare" tunic [Hmm...may need to grow the beard back, for that one...]!!); however, I think that the wearing of garb should be left to the individual, for the most part. The characteristic tabards that are worn as part of the armor in Shinai and Renn are sufficient to call attention to those fighters. I would say that, if there were more people showing up ready to fight in steel (I know, I know. There are a number of folks who would say that carting their steel armor to practice is too burdensome...), the people who see Adrians practicing their various warrior skills would have no doubt as to what kind of group they are watching. They may not, at first, be interested in joining in on the battle, but they will be intrigued by the armor (How much did it cost you? Did you make that, yourself? Does it hurt when that other guy hit you with that really big sword?!?!)

      Before I risk sounding like a former Adrian windbag...er...king (love ya, Geatano!), I should close this missive with one last thought. Many of those who see a group of people dressed "funny" standing around just think of them as another group of oddballs. They see those same people swinging swords at each other, and they are curious as to what is going on. When those "oddball" people are passionately speaking of past experiences, battles won or lost, arts and crafts they have seen (and/or drank), and experience the genuine family atmosphere that is shown (at least while the smalls are around)...these things are what truly bring people to experience the Adrian Empire. The period clothing, speech, and manners may arouse their curiosity, but the attitude of the people will bring them into the family.

      (Hmmm...maybe I should have said "ten pennies worth")

      Dmitry Ivanovitch

      On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Errand <sir_errand@...> wrote:

      The pants are about certain peoples post about the garb at fighter practice. And even levi's are allowed as long as the pockets are covered. Now that was what was allowed a few years ago, and i remember a crown making a comment about notbeing able to wear jeans unless the pants are cpvered to your knees

      --- In Adria-Umbria@yahoogroups.com, ashton worral <bigashdog@...> wrote:

      > What is with all this talk of pants? Have I missed some drama about pants lately? As long as they're not levi's jeans or something obviously modern what is the concern?
      >

      > To: Adria-Umbria@yahoogroups.com
      > From: sir_errand@...

      > Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 19:24:49 +0000
      > Subject: [Adria-Umbria] Garb at Fighter Practice
      >

      > Yes it is true that not alot of people wear garb to fighter practice. Yes wearing garb can attract some people. But lets also think of the opposite. Alot of people dont like to come up to a group of stragely dressed people. They feel out of placed. The only reason why I wear my PANTS (no boots Boss)to fighter practice is because I have the garb to spare and they are light and breathe. But I've also had people get on my case about those pants, and how bad they look. So I will conclude with this. Fighter practices is not an event, and it should be strictly up to the individual on if they want to wear garb out. But do remember this, and I know this can be hard sometime. This IS a game, we oursleves should be able to relax and still do what we like to do in mundane clothes at fighter practice.
      >
      > Sir Errand Kuss
      >
      > PS If anyone wants to get back to me. don't try to use the egroup. I rarely check it

    • Matthew
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2011
        Bravo Dmitry! Bravo!

        YES, I know I'm pretty long-winded when it comes to discussing things I feel passionate about, I'll freely admit. Many have witnessed (or been the victim to) me speaking with various people (both old & new) about changes & new ideas vs old. I believe we need to accomodate BOTH. But as many have stated, this should be a gradual change & not "Forced". No laws need be put into place, nor browbeating (though the occassional jibe & poke is allowable), & the decision should indeed be left to the member. This I agree with full-heartedly! But, we've beaten this particular horse too long already & I do not wish this discussion to lose value by becoming repeditive. So, I thank everyone who gave feedback/input from both sides & hope that this discussion has at least brought forward an idea that we can begin to act upon...

        P.S: Now lets talk about pomp/circumstance for the sake of discussion since I believe talking about things brings them to the foreground of the mind & makes us more conscious of them... ***We need to get back into the habit of displaying courtesies to ranks & titles OUTSIDE of court. which involves bowing to the Crown when you approach & not simply bumping knuckles or shaking hands saying "Hey, what's up Man!". Paying propper respects to ranks/titles will help the atmosphere & educating the newer members as well. What say you?***

        (See! I CAN do a short post!)

        In Loyal Chaos,
        Ser Gaetano Anatolii dell'Umbria
        Re Senza un Trono
        1st "Un"Earl of Umbria
        Dominus del Ludus Lama di Crescente
        Chief Wardog of the Umbrian Army

        --- In Adria-Umbria@yahoogroups.com, Marty March <psiborg001@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > wearing garb can attract some people. But lets also think of the opposite.
        > > Alot of people dont like to come up to a group of stragely dressed people.
        > > They feel out of placed. The only reason why I wear my PANTS (no boots
        > > Boss)to fighter practice is because I have the garb to spare and they are
        > > light and breathe. But I've also had people get on my case about those
        > > pants, and how bad they look. So I will conclude with this. Fighter
        > > practices is not an event, and it should be strictly up to the individual on
        > > if they want to wear garb out. But do remember this, and I know this can be
        > > hard sometime. This IS a game, we oursleves should be able to relax and
        > > still do what we like to do in mundane clothes at fighter practice.
        > > >
        > > > Sir Errand Kuss
        > > >
        > > > PS If anyone wants to get back to me. don't try to use the egroup. I

      • Nola Long-Maehren
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 4, 2011
          Small FYI Umbria has a new lifetime member in Kingman -(Kingsmen) I love my new family
          Sent from Nola's iPhone

        • Matthew
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 4, 2011
            Huzzah to you!

            We're glad to have you and hope to help you build a stable Canton up in our Northern lands! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to assist you. All glory to the growth of Umbria!