ADOT News: Prepare in case of I-17 closure

  • Michelle Thissell
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2005

      This news release will be updated as needed. The 5-1-1 traveler information system will also update if an I-17 closure is needed due to the Cave Creek Complex Fire. If you can't get through by dialing 5-1-1, the alternate number is 1-888-411-7623 (ROAD).

      For Immediate Release: June 30, 2005

      Drivers advised to prepare for possible closures of I-17 north of Phoenix due to wildfire

      Although a decision about whether to close portions of I-17 due to the Cave Creek Complex Fire has not been made, the Arizona Department of Public Safety (DPS) and Department of Transportation (ADOT) are urging motorists to be prepared to use alternate routes this holiday weekend. Heavy traffic delays are possible if the highway needs to be closed.

      While federal forest managers are carefully monitoring the Cave Creek Complex Fire north of Phoenix, smoke and the fire team’s management strategy for battling the blaze may require intermittent closures of Interstate 17 between the Carefree Highway (State Route 74) and State Route 69 (at Cordes Junction).

      If an I-17 closure is needed, travel between Phoenix and destinations in northern Arizona, including Flagstaff, will still be possible via alternate routes.

      DPS and ADOT recommend using the following alternate routes:

      ·

      Route through Payson and Verde Valley: From the Phoenix area, use northbound State Route 87 (Beeline Highway) to Payson, then continue north on SR 87 to westbound SR 260 to Interstate 17 at Camp Verde.

      ·

      Route through Prescott: From Phoenix, use the westbound Carefree Highway (SR 74) to westbound US 60 to Wickenburg, then use northbound US 93 to northbound SR 89, which will take you to Prescott. From Prescott, there are a number of options for continuing travel to northern Arizona, including northbound SR 89 to Interstate 40 (near Ash Fork), or southbound SR 69 to eastbound SR 169 to reach northbound I-17 (north of Cordes Junction).

      DPS recommends that commercial vehicles avoid using northbound State Route 89 to Prescott and instead use northbound US 93 to Interstate 40.

      For the latest updates on road conditions, visit ADOT’s traveler information website at www.az511.com and call 5-1-1 or 1-888-411-7623. For the latest information on the fire, visit www.az211.gov. In addition to monitoring these websites, individuals are also encouraged to check their local news stations for current information.

      http://mail.yahoo.com