Fwd: Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Program

  • Katy Walum
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2011

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Alaskan Way Viaduct <wsdot@...>
      Date: Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 1:07 PM
      Subject: Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Program
      To: katy.walum@...

      View Online Version

      Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Program News

      This program is led by the Washington State Department of Transportation in partnership with the Federal Highway Administration, King County, City of Seattle and the Port of Seattle.

      Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Program News

      Nov. 4, 2011

      In this issue:

      • SR 99 construction bypass: New slower speeds required, delays possible during peak times.
      • Viaduct closure by the numbers.
      • Parking during construction.
      • Website celebrates the viaduct and its place in history.

      SR 99 construction bypass: New slower speeds required, delays possible during peak times

      Commuters are back on the Alaskan Way Viaduct, albeit traveling at a slower construction speed and navigating new curves. As drivers adjust, they could see delays of about 10 minutes during busy peak travel times through downtown.

      Much of the viaduct is now posted at 40 mph from the Battery Street Tunnel to the West Seattle Bridge, and a 25 mph recommended speed limit is in effect through the curving construction bypass near the stadiums. Our simulation shows what driving the bypass looks like. Even though speeds will likely be slower on SR 99 for the next few years, the bypass roadway allows this critical corridor to remain open until the new SR 99 tunnel is completed at the end of 2015.

      Next steps
      Later this month, Seattle Tunnel Partners will start demolishing an additional section of the viaduct, south of South King Street near the new construction bypass, and begin preparing for tunnel construction. In coming months, crews will begin driving support piles for a second bridge through SODO that will eventually carry three lanes of northbound SR 99 traffic.

      Viaduct closure by the numbers
      Here’s a quick look at last week’s extraordinary effort to begin demolition of the Alaskan Way Viaduct’s southern mile and shift traffic to a new bridge and construction bypass:

      • 2,825 feet of demolished viaduct.
      • 125 construction workers on the job daily.
      • 30 munchers, crunchers and excavators for demolition work.
      • 3,500 estimated truckloads of concrete rubble to be recycled and used for construction surfaces for the tunnel project.
      • 2,500 estimated truckloads of steel rebar to be recycled.
      • 3,000 feet of concrete traffic safety barrier installed.

      Parking during construction
      During the next several months, crews working on the SR 99 Tunnel Project will begin to remove parking under the viaduct between South King Street and Yesler Way. These spaces will be removed in stages as the work zone expands northward from Railroad Way South.

      WSDOT and the City of Seattle are working closely with Pioneer Square and waterfront representatives to develop strategies to help businesses during the holiday season and beyond. Immediate mitigation strategies include:

      • Allowing short-term parking on Pier 48 during the holiday season. From Nov. 17 to Jan. 3, parking will be available on Pier 48 for less than the cost of street parking ($3 per hour for up to four hours).
      • Adding new signage to the waterfront to direct drivers to parking and retail districts along the waterfront and in Pioneer Square.
      • Implementing a marketing campaign that advertises that businesses are open during construction and parking is available. This will include signage, paid advertisements and event sponsorship and support.

      Long-term strategies under consideration include adding more garages to the City’s e-Park system, increasing parking availability in existing garages, encouraging commuters to use other modes than personal car to get to work, and implementing a shuttle.

      Website celebrates the viaduct and its place in history
      The Alaskan Way Viaduct has served our region well for decades. One week after demolishing most of its southern mile, we’re paying tribute to the viaduct and telling the story of the structure on www.viaducthistory.org. Along with facts, figures and photos of the viaduct, the website features a timeline of significant events in Seattle, information about local archaeology done in support of the project, details about historical buildings near the viaduct, and games and activities for kids.

      We worked with local historians, cultural resources experts and state and local agencies as we developed the site, which fulfills a commitment WSDOT and the Federal Highway Administration made under Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act. We also link to historylink.org, the Washington state historical website, in case visitors want to explore more.

      Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Program links
      Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Program
      SR 99 South Holgate to South King Street Project | SR 99 Tunnel Project
      Current Construction | Public Events | Contact Us

      As a public agency, the Washington State Department of Transportation is subject to the State’s Public Records Act (RCW 42.56). E-mail addresses may be made available to anyone requesting them for noncommercial purposes.

      This service is provided by the Washington State Department of Transportation. Contact us at  WebFeedback@...

      Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) information
      If you would like to learn more about accessibility and the tools we have available, visit www.wsdot.wa.gov/Accessibility/.

      STAY CONNECTED:
      Visit our BlogVisit us on FacebookVisit us on FlickrRSSVisit us on TwitterVisit us on YouTubeEmail Updates

      SUBSCRIBER SERVICES:
      Manage Preferences  |  Unsubscribe  |  Help

      This email was sent to katy.walum@... using GovDelivery, on behalf of: WSDOT · 310 Maple Park Ave SE · Olympia, WA 98504 · 360-705-7000Powered by GovDelivery

    • Katy Walum
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 2011

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 15, 2012