Greetings and Happy New Year!

  • katy.walum
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2010
      Dear Admiral Community Members,

      Hello! My name is Katy Walum, and I am your 2010 Admiral Neighborhood Association President. I am thrilled to have the opportunity to lead this dynamic and dedicated organization into a new decade. I am joined by a stellar board of individuals; Jim Cavin as Vice President, Catherine Barker as Secretary, and Ann Limbaugh as Treasurer. We have met and begun planning for the coming year; our principal goal is to engage Admiral residents more fully in the life of this neighborhood. This means YOU, and I want you to know what is in the works for your Admiral Neighborhood Association.

      As ANA President, I will focus on three main areas: Stewardship and Implementation of the Neighborhood Plan, Coalition-Building, and Community Outreach and Events.

      First, it is vital to me that our Neighborhood Plan, thoughtfully and meticulously crafted by long-time Admiral residents for the preservation of the character of our neighborhood, gain teeth in the development planning process. I will draw upon my experience as an attorney and community activist to partner with local government entities and representatives to ensure that our community's plan for managing growth be honored by key decision-makers.

      Second, I will work as President to build and foster coalitions to strengthen this neighborhood and to enable the ANA to become a better community resource. Building upon our valuable existing links to the Southwest District Council and other neighborhood groups, I plan on seeking the input and active participation of Admiral District business owners, of area law enforcement, and of other neighborhood and charity organizations. The more voices and backgrounds we have coming to the table, the more constructive an experience this will be for all!

      Finally, I would like the ANA to participate in or put on more community events. Not only do these events, such as the Neighborhood Cleanup days and the Hiawatha Summer Concert Series, serve to bring Admiral neighbors together in honor and celebration of our community, but they also gain greater visibility for our organization and cultivate greater involvement. I am already planning for greater ANA involvement in community events, such as the annual Admiral 4th of July Kids' Parade, and I would like to explore your event ideas as well.

      Now that I've told you about the direction I hope to steer this ship, I need you to come and help plan and execute the trip! I cordially invite you to attend our upcoming meetings to share your hopes and visions for Admiral.

      We meet on the second Tuesday of each month, 7pm to about 9pm, in the basement of the Admiral Congregational UCC Church, 4320 SW Hill Street (on the corner of Hill and California). Our meetings are open to the public. I will post past and upcoming meeting agendas, minutes, and other pertinent information on our Yahoo Groups web page. Please contact me with any proposed agenda items or presenters; I will be sending out the agenda for Tuesday's meeting in the next couple of days.

      I very much look forward to working with all of you. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions. Together we will shape a stronger Admiral neighborhood!

      Best regards,

      Katy Walum
      President, Admiral Neighborhood Association
      katy.walum@...
    • Derek Birnie
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 8, 2010

        Hi Katy,

        As an Admiral resident, a community organizer, a partner to ANA (DNDA serves as fiscal agent), let me extend a warm welcome to you and the other new officers.  I’m sure you’ll continue to build on the legacy of fine leadership the Association has benefitted from.  I find your vision and priorities compelling and I look forward to doing what I can as a resident and partner to help see it realized.

        Derek Birnie, Executive Director

        Delridge Neighborhoods Development Association

        katy.walum@gmail. com