Fwd: White Center & Delridge Neighborhood Grocery Audit

  • Stan Lock
    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2008
      fyi.

      Stan Lock, Neighborhood District Coordinator
      West Seattle Neighborhood Service Center
      City of Seattle Department of Neighborhoods
      4205 SW Alaska Street
      Seattle, WA 98116
      206-233-2045

      >>> Stella Chao 5/20/2008 5:05 PM >>>

      Stella Chao, Director
      Department of Neighborhoods
      700 5th Avenue, Suite 1700
      Seattle, WA 98124
      Phone: 684-0465
      Mailing Address:
      PO BOX 94649
      Seattle, WA 98124-4649

      www.seattle.gov/neighborhoods
      "Connecting People. Communities, and Government"

      >>> Quyet Huynh <maggie.anderson@...> 5/20/2008 4:35:10 PM

      Late Breaking Opportunity with KCFFI:
      White Center & Delridge Neighborhood Grocery AuditGrocery
      Audit--Saturday, May 24th
      What is available in our communities?

      We need YOU and your YOUTH!
      This Saturday, May 24th, the King County Food & Fitness Initiative's
      (KCFFI) Assessment Team (Branden Born and students from the University
      of Washington) need your help to do a Grocery Audit in the White Center
      & Delridge neighborhoods. We are looking for at least 10-20 additional
      youth and supporting adults.

      What is a Grocery Audit and why are we doing it?
      The purpose of our grocery audit will be to find out what foods are
      available and how much they cost in the grocery and corner stores that
      are located in the White Center & Delridge Neighborhoods. The
      information gathered by community members will be used to develop a long
      term food systems community action plan.

      Using a list that we will be provide to you, you will go out and check
      to see what foods on that list you can find in the store. If the store
      has that food item, there will be a space for you to write down how much
      it costs in that store. This is a great way for the community to begin
      discussing what foods we have and what we want.

      More information on Community Food Assessments can be found at
      www.foodsecurity.org

      Details for Saturday:
      - Meet at Youngstown Cultural Center at 10am (on bus routes 120 &
      125).
      Address: 4408 Delridge Way SW
      - Branden will explain how to do the grocery audit
      - You will get a list of food items (brand name, size, etc.)
      - In pairs (this is why you should bring friends or family members!)
      you will go to one or two grocery stores, find these items, and write
      down the price
      - The first grocery store may take up to 1.5 hours, but the second
      grocery store will probably only take about 45 minutes - since you will
      be a pro by then! Corner stores will take less time.
      - After you complete your audits, you will return your list to a
      specific location (we will let you know on Saturday morning).

      Please keep in mind:
      - Youth will get service hours towards graduation!
      - Everyone should plan on being committed from 10am - 2pm.
      - Transportation has not been prearranged - please contact me if can
      give rides, or if you need a ride.

      **For more information about the initiative, please visit www.kcffi.org

      Contact Information:
      Quyet Huynh, Youth Coordinator
      quyet@...
      Office: (206) 623-5132 ext. 324
      Cell: (206) 240-3484

      Where & When
      Youngstown Cultural Center
      4408 Delridge Way SW
      Seattle, WA 98106
      Saturday, May 24th, 2008
      10:00 AM - 2:00 PM

      This email is being sent to you C/O: WSU King County Extension
      Extension programs and employment are available to all without
      discrimination. Evidence of noncompliance may be reported through your
      local Extension office.

      Forward email
      This email was sent to stella.chao@..., by
      maggie.anderson@...
      Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribeâ„¢ |
      Privacy Policy.
      Email Marketing by
      KCFFI | c/o: WSU King County Extension | 200 Mill Avenue, Suite 100 |
      Renton | WA | 98057