West Seattle News You Can Use- June 13

  • Pitre, Yun
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 13, 2014

      You're receiving these emails because you live in West Seattle. To learn even more about these events and other ways Department of Neighborhoods supports your community  by visiting Delridge District Council information at http://www.seattle.gov/Neighborhoods/districts/delridge.htm and Southwest District Council information at http://www.seattle.gov/Neighborhoods/districts/southwest.htm

      Seattle Department of Neighborhoods

      Neighborhood District Coordinators – South Region Team

      Yun Pitre

      Office: (206) 386-1924

      Cell: (206)730-0364

      Jenny Frankl

      Office: (206) 233-2044

      Cell: (206) 396-0200

      Kerry Wade

      Office: ,(206)733-9091

      Cell: (206)316-7283

      *We usually send these out weekly.  Please let me know if you would like us to take you off the list.  Thanks

      Ø Fauntleroy’s Swing Into Summer dance

      Ø Morgan Junction Community Festival

      Ø West Seattle Cup

      Ø Seattle Emergency Preparedness Workshops

      Ø Night Out 2014

      Ø Funds available to neighborhoods to support Night Out 2014 activities

      Ø Aging Your Way Conference – Moving From I to We

      Ø Seattle 2035 Key Directions

      Ø  Seattle Parks ‘Big Day of Play’

      Fauntleroy’s Swing Into Summer dance featuring the WEST SEATTLE BIG BAND at the Hall at Fauntleroy

      Free childcare (at the Y gym and church nursery), dinner and drinks available for purchase.  Admission only $15. Get tickets, ($15.) at the Fauntleroy Y and Fauntleroy Church offices, online at www.BrownPaperTickets.com (event: Fauntleroy Swing) and at the door.  Please park in the back lot if space is still available.

      Don’t dance?   No problem, Tish Hesse from the Fauntleroy Y will give us lessons at 6:30.  Or, just come and watch!More info at www.Fauntleroy.net Facebook.Fauntleroy Community Association

      Sponsored by the Fauntleroy YMCA, Fauntleroy Church and Fauntleroy Community Association.

      (Back to Top)

         Here’s the Music and Activities (in yellow) schedule

      “Bark of Morgan” Dog Show at the Morgan Junction Community Festival

      The Morgan Community Association (MoCA) is pleased to announce the return of the “Bark of Morgan” Dog Show at the Morgan Junction Community Festival, set for June 21, 2014. Leashed dogs and their humans are invited to join in the Pooch Parade and enter up to two of the Dog Contests.

      Pooch Parade: To participate in the Pooch Parade, dogs with their humans must line up in the Morgan Junction Park (located at the corner of California Ave SW and SW Eddy Street) by 2:00PM. We’ll parade through the Morgan Junction Community Festival grounds to the Beveridge Place Pub Main Stage. Costumes are optional.

      Dog Contests: At the end of the parade, dog contests will begin at the Beveridge Place Pub Main Stage. Starting at 2:30pm, the “Bark of Morgan” Master of Ceremonies will announce each contest, and will select the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners based on audience applause. The contests are:

      1)      Best Voice – Does your dog have that special howl, bark or musical number? Then we want to hear it.

      2)      Best Dog/Human Look-A-Like – Do you and your pooch look similar? Do you dress alike? Well??

      3)     Smallest Dog – Can your dog fit inside a purse? You may have this contest in the bag!

      4)     Best Dog Trick – Before you and your dog head off to ‘America’s Got Talent,’ here’s the chance to show off your tricks….

      The Bark of Morgan will take place rain or shine on June 21, 2014 at the Morgan Junction Community Festival. Morgan Junction is located at the intersection of California Ave SW and Fauntleroy Way SW in West Seattle.

      (Back to Top)

      (Back to Top)

      Seattle Emergency Preparedness Friends and Partners

      Here’s some great opportunities for disaster skills classes

      June Mini Workshop: Fire Extinguisher 101 Learn the PASS-word and stay safe putting out small fires

      In just 30 minutes, learn the anatomy of a fire extinguisher, how to choose the right one for your household, review the do’s and don’ts of fire safety, and gain hands-on practice with a demo extinguisher. Four sessions, all free, no RSVP required. See locations below.

      Saturday, June 21, 1:00-1:30 p.m.

      Northgate Branch Library

      10548 5th Ave NE, 98125

      Tuesday, June 24, 12:00-12:30 p.m. (date has changed from 6/17 to 6/24)

      Central Library

      1000 4th Ave, 98104

      Wednesday, June 25, 6:30-7 p.m.

      Columbia Branch Library

      4721 Rainier Ave S, 98118

      Thursday, June 26, 6:30-7 p.m.

      Ballard Branch Library

      5614 22nd Ave NW, 98107

      For a full list of Training and Events, go to: http://www.seattle.gov/emergency/events/

      (Back to Top)

      Night Out 2014

      Tuesday August 5th, the City of Seattle will be celebrating the 30th Annual Night Out Against Crime.   Our registration link for Night Out 2014 is now active.  Please go to:  http://www.seattle.gov/police/nightout/default.htm

      Night Out is a national crime prevention event designed to heighten crime prevention awareness, increase neighborhood support in anti-crime efforts, and unite our communities.  Neighbor participation in Night Out continues to grow every year.  In 2013, over 1,400 Night Out events were registered city-wide.  It’s fun, it’s free and it’s a great chance to reconnect with neighbors and share information with each other while learning more about crime prevention.  Getting together with your neighbors, recommitting to watch out for each other, and reaffirming you will report suspicious activity to police are ways to show you care about your community.  You do not need to be in an active Block Watch to hold a Night Out event.  However, if you would like to form a block watch, please indicate that on your registration (we have a check box for that).

      (Back to Top)

      Funds available to neighborhoods to support Night Out 2014 activities – Deadline to apply is June 23!

      Small Sparks Fund provides matching funds to support community engagement

      If your neighborhood plans to participate in the 30th Annual Night Out on August 5, check out the Small Sparks Fund from the Seattle Department of Neighborhoods has a fund to support your event and activities.  Community groups can request up to $1000 to help fund Night Out planning efforts and activities such as outreach efforts, educational fairs, block bbqs, bike parades, and neighborhood cleanups, to name a few. The deadline for applications is Monday, June 23 at 5:00 p.m. (but you need to register on our web-based application system before June 20 to apply).

      For information on the application process, visit seattle.gov/neighborhoods/nmf/smallsparks.htm or call 206-733-9916. The Small Sparks Fund is open to applications year-round.

      Night Out is a national Crime Prevention event designed to heighten crime prevention awareness, increase neighborhood support in anti-crime efforts, and unite communities. To learn more about Night Out, visit www.seattle.gov/police/Nightout/

      (Back to Top)

      Aging Your Way Conference – Moving From I to We

      South Seattle College

      6000 16th Ave SW, Seattle 98106

      Thursday, June 26, 2014

      8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.

      Cost: $25, includes breakfast, lunch, engagement and a dance party!

      No talking heads or boring PowerPoint presentations! Jim Diers, the former director of the Seattle Department of Neighborhoods who is now an international consultant, will facilitate an interactive day in which you'll meet individuals who are well-connected in their communities, as well as some who are not-so-plugged-in, who can identify gaps in the system. We'll showcase some projects that have "cracked the code" in how they partner with community, agencies and funders. And we'll ask all attendees to identify and step up to launch new projects or expand or replicate existing ones.

      Who will attend?

      You can expect to see a full spectrum of individuals and organizations interested in:

      ·         Learning how others make community connections.

      ·         Creating new models that support reciprocity and resiliency.

      ·         Creating new partnerships that sustain community interdependence.

      To register, click here or visit www.seniorservices.org/agingyourway. For more information about the conference, contact Dori Gillam at dorig@..., or call: 206-268-6737.

      (Back to Top)

      June 24 - Key Directions

      Win Prizes, Enjoy Great Food, and Help Shape Seattle’s Future

      By 2035 Seattle will add 120,000 people and 115,000 jobs. On June 24 you can weigh in on Key Directions for Seattle’s Comprehensive Plan to help guide this growth. Much of the Comprehensive Plan is already headed in the right direction, but some changes are needed. These changes are part of Seattle 2035, the Department of Planning and Development’s effort to update the Comprehensive Plan. DPD wants to know what you think is the best way forward.
      We also have 200 tickets to the Experience Music Project (EMP) and four Monorail passes to give away! With so many prizes, you have a great chance of winning. And, since it’s around dinner time, there'll be two food trucks available (Athena’s and Quack Dogs). Come join the Key Directions conversation, enter to win a prize, and then grab a bite to eat.
      Key Directions Event Details:
      Sign Up Here
      Tuesday, June 24
      5:30 – 8:00 p.m.
      Seattle Center
      Next 50 Pavilion
      At the June 24 meeting you will have an opportunity to:

      • Learn about Seattle’s Comprehensive Plan and the update schedule
      • Preview potential changes to make the Plan easier to understand
      • Discuss key topics in the Plan, including housing, land use, and transportation
      • Participate in interactive stations to help identify and prioritize options that could change in the Plan

      Your input will help shape how the Plan is updated.

      For more information about the Seattle 2035 project, visit our website at 2035.seattle.gov.

      Key Directions:

      As Seattle grows, so does our responsibilty to care for our natural environment. Learn how the Comprehensive Plan does this and tell us how you think we could do better.

      Learn more...

      Key Directions:

      Rising costs, new developments, and the need for affordable housing make this topic one of the most discussed in Seattle. What can the Plan do to solve these problems over the next 20 years?

      Learn more...

      Key Directions:
      Arts & Culture

      Seattle celebrates cultural diversity and creative expression. At the same time, Seattle has a unique civic identity that allows us to work together to improve our city.

      Learn more...

      http://seattle.us3.list-manage.com/track/open.php?u=6ef56d18731a159dfc98a8cbd&id=1ae796063f&e=8dcd5628de(Back to Top)