Happenings

  • Pitre, Yun
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 25, 2013

      Below are list of events and happenings in West Seattle and beyond…

      • Halloween Carnivals at Local Community Centers
      • West Seattle Junction Harvest Festival
      • West Seattle Education Fair
      • Community Police Commission invites community input on proposed reforms. Inputs needed by October 31.
      • 2013 General Election
      • Office of Housing Home Repair Loan Program
      • King County/ Public Health Offers Opportunities to Learn More About and Enroll for Affordable Care Act

      Seattle Department of Neighborhoods

      Neighborhood District Coordinators – South Region Team

      Yun Pitre

      yun.pitre@...

      Office: (206) 386-1924

      Cell: (206)730-0364

      Ed Pottharst

      ed.pottharst@...

      Message: (206) 494-9026

      Jenny Frankl

      jenny.frankl@...

      Office: (206) 233-2044

      Cell: (206) 396-0200

      Get ready for Fall with Seattle Parks and Recreation!

      Halloween Carnivals at Local Community Centers

      Join us in a family night of spooktacular fun! This year we have more new games, treats and prizes! Costumes are encouraged and optional. Food will be available for purchase.

      Ages: 11 and younger Cost: $0.25 per ticket

      ·         OCTOBER 25: High Point Haunted House and Carnival, 5-7:30 pm. Costumes encouraged! High Point Community Center. (6920 34th SW)

      ·         OCTOBER 25: Halloween Carnival at Southwest Teen Life Center and Pool, 6-7:30 pm. (2801 SW Thistle)

      ·         OCTOBER 25: Halloween Carnival at Alki Community Center, 6-8 pm. (5817 SW Stevens)

      ·         OCTOBER 25: Halloween Carnival at Hiawatha Community Center, 6-8 pm. (2700 California SW)

      ·         OCTOBER 25: Halloween Carnival at Delridge Community Center, 6:30-8 pm. (4501 Delridge Way SW)

      ·         OCTOBER 25: Free Halloween Family Swim at Southwest Pool, 7-8 pm. Penny dive, bobbing for apples, more. Adults must accompany children in the pool. (2801 SW Thistle)

      http://wsjunction.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/HarvestFest_Postcard_2-250x350.jpg

      :

      West Seattle Junction Harvest Festival

      The streets-closed event 10 am-2 pm Sunday, October 27 ,incorporating not only trick-or-treating at Junction businesses, but also a special “in-the-street” edition of the WS Farmers’ Market, and lots more

      http://www.seattlelutheran.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/ed-fair-2013.jpg

      2013 West Seattle Education Fair

      West Seattle Education Fair next Monday (October 28th), hosted by and at Seattle Lutheran High School, sponsored by WSB, your chance for a one-stop shop to find out about local educational options, pre-K through 8th grade. 18 schools are signed up to participate. Free for families to attend – 6:30-8:30 pm Monday in the SLHS Gym (SW Genesee between 41st and 42nd)

      Seattle Community Police Commission logo

      Community Police Commission invites community input on proposed reforms

      The Community Police Commission (CPC) needs your help to create a stronger, safer and more connected community.

      On September 20, the CPC issued draft policy recommendations for public review. These recommendations are in the areas of bias-free policing, stops and detentions, and in-car video recordings. The CPC is also seeking public comment on the Seattle Police Department’s proposed use of force policy. The CPC must issue a report with its final policy recommendations in these areas on November 15.

      Public meetings are being held during October with Seattle residents to get their perspectives about SPD and to gather their thoughts on the CPC recommendations. Many of these meetings have been arranged to ensure we reach those community members most impacted by police practices, but all Seattle residents have a stake in better policing.

      How to get and stay involved

      To learn more, go online to our website at www.seattle.gov/policecommission. Read summaries or review the complete draft policies here. Since it is getting late in October and we have a October 31 deadline for completion of survey questionnaires, we suggest that you provide feedback by completing our online survey by no later than October 31.

      Stay involved over time! You will also get periodic e-newsletters from us if you sign-up for our listserv – to do so, just email us at OCPC@.... If you would like CPC representatives to meet with your group, or want to offer ideas for how we can better reach community members, call us at 206-233-2664 or send us an email.

      Please forward this message and the survey link to interested friends, neighbors and community members so their voice may also be heard.

      2013 General Election

      cid:image003.jpg@01CED0D1.D4782930

      Ballots for the 2013 general election are on their way to voters. Return your ballot by November 5

      ·         Mailed ballots require first class postage and must be postmarked by November 5.

      ·         At an accessible voting center by 8 p.m.

      ·         To a 24-hour drop box or a scheduled van drop by 8 p.m.

      *

      Also available is the Video Voters’ Guide. The non-partisan video guide offers candidates on the ballot up to two minutes to issue a prepared statement that outlines the key planks of their platform. Representatives for city and county ballot measures also issue short statements. The candidates and issues appear onscreen in the same order as they do on the ballot.

      Office of Housing Home Repair Loan Program

      Home Repair Loan logo

      Does your plumbing leak?
      Do you need a new roof?
      Do you have other overlooked repairs?

      If so, one of our loans could help you live in a safer, healthier home. The Office of Housing's Home Repair Loan Program provides loans to repair owner-occupied, single family homes with low- to moderate-income households. The program is designed to address immediate health, safety and structural deficiencies.

      The loans are funded by local and federal programs which prioritize health and safety repairs. Homeowners are given as much flexibility as possible, but work items which threaten the health of the occupants or the integrity of the structure must be corrected before other work is started. Our staff will assist you in understanding these priorities and making your project work for you.

      For a pre-screening to see if you qualify, please call (206) 684-0458 or email HomeRepairLoan@.... More details are offered below:

      King County/ Public Health Offers Opportunities to Learn More About and Enroll for Affordable Care Act

      cid:image007.jpg@01CED0A6.2A6F7860