West Seattle Happenings- October 11, 2013

  • DON_SouthRegion
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2013

      Hey there!

      It is our intention to provide these “Happenings” around town once a week or once every two weeks – just to help keep you informed of what is happening in West Seattle (with a few exceptions).  If you would rather not receive these e-mails, we totally understand – could you send  us a quick e-mail so we can take you off of our distribution list? Also, if you have events and/or information you would like for us to share, please pass it along.

      I hope you have a fabulous Friday J. Thanks!

      Seattle Department of Neighborhoods

      Neighborhood District Coordinators – South Region Team

      Yun Pitre

      yun.pitre@...

      Office: (206) 386-1924

      Cell: (206)730-0364

      Ed Pottharst

      ed.pottharst@...

      Message: (206) 494-9026

      Jenny Frankl

      jenny.frankl@...

      Office: (206) 233-2044

      Cell: (206) 396-0200

      South Seattle Community College Plant Sale @ SSCC Plant Nursery

      Garden Center

      11:00 am – 3:00 pm

      The South Seattle Community College Garden Center Plant Sale will be going on from 11 am to 3 pm on October 12th. Student-propagated and grown perennials, ground covers, shrubs, small trees, vines, and more for 30% off will be available.

      Genesee Hill School garden cleanup @ Genesee Hill School, north side

      http://cloud2.wsbcdn.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/genhill.jpg

      Date: Saturday, October 12

      Time: 10 am–1 pm

      Where: North Playground

      This will be the VERY LAST work party to tidy up the Genesee Hill School property for the winter before the district begins the demolition and construction process for the new school. Come on out and join your neighbors for this work party–and please bring your own tools!

      Duwamish Tribe Celebrates the First Nations @ Duwamish Longhouse & Cultural Center

      http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4985891250047130&pid=1.7

      WHEN: October 12, 2013, 4-7 pm. Come early to visit Art Gallery & exhibits.

      WHERE: Duwamish Longhouse & Cultural Center, 4705 W Marginal Way SW, Seattle WA 98106

      The Duwamish Tribe in association with PoetsWest hosts a program of Native American poetry and storytelling followed by an open mike and showing of the film, Princess Angeline. Featured artists include: Thomas Hubbard, Philip Red Eagle, J. Glenn Evans, Peter Ali, and Duwamish’s heritage group “Singing Feet.” Refreshments. Free admission/parking. Other sponsor: 4Culture.

      Eliminating Racial Inequity in Discipline: A Community Workshop

      http://www.seattle.gov/rsji/images/rsji_logotag4.jpg

      9am-12pm

      Saturday, October 12th

      New Holly Gathering Hall

      7054 32nd Ave South, Seattle WA

      Speakers:

      Susan Enfield, Superintendent, Highline Schools

      Marcus Harden, SouthEast Seattle Education Coalition

      Anita Morales, Seattle Public Schools

      Emijah Smith, School-Family Partnerships Advisory Committee, Seattle Public Schools

      Moderated by Veronica Santana-Uffret, Youth Undoing Institutional Racism & Scott Winn, City of Seattle Race and Social Justice Initiative

      This workshop will focus on implementation of the Call to Action to Eliminate Racial Inequity in School Discipline. This comprehensive Call to Action is a result of the work of many organizations working on this issue. This Call to Action was adopted by the Race and Social Justice Community Roundtable and now additional groups are signing on to show their support and work on implementation.

      The Roundtable is inviting groups of students, family members, teachers, administrators, and community based organizations to attend the October 12th workshop. We encourage you to recruit others from your school or organization to attend. The focus will be on implementation of strategies within schools, as well as across Districts. During the workshop we will discuss various alternative discipline and classroom practices, assess challenges, identify opportunities and hear from organizations that are working to eliminate racial inequities in discipline within their own organization.

      We will start the day with a panel of leaders who are breaking new ground to achieve racial equity. In addition, there will be focused time for you to work with others from your school or organization. Register for the event - https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/EquityEducationOct-12-2013. Make sure to indicate if you will need childcare or interpretation.

      If you would like to sign on to the call to action, please contact Scott Winn, Race and Social Justice Community Roundtable staff, at scott.winn@... or 684-4541.

      Flyers for the event are available in English, Spanish, Chinese, Oromo, Somali, Vietnamese, Amharic, and Tigrinya .

      Arab Festival at Seattle Center

      cid:image002.png@01CEC5AB.9C0A8E20

      From mouth-watering food to traditional and contemporary music, workshops, dancing, info booths and more, the Arab Festival at Seattle Center on October 12-13 is a place of celebration and illumination for Arab culture

      City Fruit cider press event @ West Seattle Nursery

      City Fruit

      October 13th 2013, 1 pm-4 pm

      Bring a bushel of your apples or City Fruit will share some of ours from the latest urban harvest and make fresh cider just in time for Autumn. Bring your kids and let them experience making cider out of apples. There will be two cider presses this year and would love for the community to come help make delicious cider out of West Seattle apples! Fresh tastes free to anyone helping make the cider.

      Bus riders can share their views about transit and other transportation needs with Senate Transportation Committee members at a public forum on Monday in downtown Seattle.

      http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4700310306031155&w=175&h=143&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

      Monday, Oct. 14,

      6-9 p.m.
      NEW LOCATION: Seattle First Presbyterian Church, 1013 Eighth Ave., Seattle

      This “listening session” is part of a statewide tour hosted by the Washington State Department of Transportation.

      In about a month, Metro will be announcing a proposal to make major service cuts because of our funding shortage. We’ve managed to preserve most service over the past five years by taking many steps, including cutting costs and increasing fares. But some temporary funding runs out next June, so we have no choice but to plan service reductions that would begin in fall 2014.

      An additional 45,000 annual service hours will have to be cut from bus service in the Alaskan Way Viaduct corridor next June, when state funding to reduce the impacts of the viaduct replacement project runs out.

      Learn more about this and view new, preliminary information about impacts of a countywide reduction on our website.

      Hallowed Hunt & Costume Contest for teens @ Hiawatha Community Center

      Hiawatha Community Center

      Hiawatha Community Center-2700 California Ave SW

      Friday, October 18th

      6:30 pm–8:30 pm

      For ages 11-17: Dress warmly and bring a flashlight and goodie bag to capture prizes in our wooded grounds. A best dressed prize will be awarded prior to the start of the hunt. Hunt begins promptly at dusk. No registration and FREE for all youth ages 11-17. Event Contact: John.Hasslinger@...

      Duwamish Alive: Planting Season Kickoff

      October 19th, 2013

      10:00-2:00pm

      Want to plant trees and meet new friends? Join hundreds of your neighbors on October 19th and kick off the planting season with Nature Consortium. This special service event is part of Duwamish Alive, a city-wide event to celebrate and restore the polluted Duwamish River. Join us in the West Duwamish Greenbelt, Seattle’s largest remaining forest, as we work to restore important habitat and build community.

      Extending over 500 acres in West Seattle, the West Duwamish Greenbelt plays a critical role in filtering the air and water pollution created by urban runoff and industrial waste. Volunteers will remove invasive weeds, plant native trees and shrubs, and spread weed-stopping mulch in the greenbelt. Tools, gloves, training, and live music.

      LunaGirls-Poster-Final.jpg

      EPA Enforcement

      http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4914375770311376&w=155&h=174&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

      Learn More on October 22 @ 4 p.m.

      Georgetown campus of South Seattle Community in Room 102 of Building B-Enter the campus from the entrance at 6770 East Marginal Way South

      Some are learning the hard way that the federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is stepping up enforcement concerning stormwater permits.  Learn more about the EPA effort at a meeting in Georgetown Tuesday, October 22, starting at 4 p.m. The guest speaker is John Iani, a partner at the Perkins Coie law firm and a former EPA director for U.S. Region 10. The meeting is sponsored by the Manufacturing Industrial Council of Seattle.  Attendance is free, but if you want to attend please RSVP to Christine Jones at 206-762-2470, or send her an email to  christine@....

      Stormwater enforcement in the region is usually conducted by the Washington State Department of Ecology (DOE). EPA is now taking the lead. EPA inspection and enforcement processes differ from those of the DOE. More information will be made available at the October 22 meeting.

      Energy, Utility and Resource Summit

      You are invited to attend a FREE event that can improve our diverse communities’ quality of life!  We are all part of a fabric of our greater diverse communities; let us work together to help our mutual clients!

      ·        Do you feel you have clients who can benefit from resources to help them meet essential and emergent basic needs?

      ·        Would you like to learn up-to- date program highlights and pertinent information that can provide financial assistance and save money for other basic needs?

      ·        Would you like to network and cultivate relationships with other community advocates?

      Please join us for a day of raising awareness, sharing various programs and services in Seattle and King County.

      Energy, Utility and Resource Summit

      Thursday, October 24, 2013

      8:30 a.m.-2:00 p.m.

      Garfield Community Center

      2323 E Cherry St., Seattle, WA  98122

      For more information or to RSVP, please contact ASAP due to limited space available.

      Information tables are available.

      Brenda.Sevilla-Miranda@... (206) 733-9055

      Cynthia.Ellison@... (206) 733-9053

      In partnership with Seattle Human Services Department, Seattle Parks and Recreation Department, Seattle Public Utilities and Seattle City Light.

      Background:

      The Energy, Utility & Resource Summit started in 2005 in collaboration with Seattle Human Services Department, Seattle Public Utilities and Seattle City Light.

      Purpose:

      ·        Learn more about City, county, state and community programs that will help our mutual customers who are in need of basic services.

      ·        Learn about what utility assistance programs the City offers and program qualification and guidelines.

      ·        Network and collaborate more effectively.

      Helps align with the City’s goal of building stronger families and connecting the most vulnerable clients to much needed services

      I-90 Tolling EIS Scoping Public Meetings

      http://rainiervalleypost.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/200x400_RainierValleypPost.png

      More public input is needed as part of the additional I-90 Tolling Project scoping period Oct. 7 through Nov. 6.Learn more about the proposed I-90 tolling project, range of alternatives and how to submit comments

      Join Us for Green Seattle Day on November 2nd!

      cid:image007.png@01CEC5AB.9C0A8E20

      Join the Green Seattle Partnership to celebrate and restore Seattle’s beautiful forested parks for the 8th annual Green Seattle Day on Saturday, November 2nd from 10 am to 2 pm!

      Green Seattle Day is a meaningful way to connect with nature and create a healthy and vibrant community by planting native trees and shrubs in a park near you. The event takes place in 17 parks city-wide. Seattle’s own West Duwamish Greenbelt is this year’s central hub site, which will be hosted by Nature Consortium and Forterra.

      The Green Seattle Partnership is a collaboration between the City of Seattle, non-profit partners, and thousands of committed volunteers that seek to create a sustainable network of healthy forested parklands by removing invasive species and replanting with native shrubs and trees.  Without a coordinated effort, Seattle is at risk of losing 70% of its forests in just 20 years.

      Green Seattle Day is a celebration of Seattle’s 2500 acres of forested parks, the committed neighbors who care for them, and the kick-off event for the 2012-2013 restoration planting season.  We supply all tools and supplies. So, grab a water bottle, roll up your sleeves, and get ready to have fun in the forest!

      Learn more and REGISTER for your preferred park at www.greenseattle.org