Grocery Worker Strike Preparation.. Please forward

  • Elena Perez
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2013

      Dear Seattle Neighborhood Council Chair or Representative,

      There has been extensive coverage of the ongoing Puget Sound grocery negotiations which impacts 30,000 workers in our area. A strike at QFC, Fred Meyer, Safeway, and Albertsons is a possibility. Pasted below is some information that your neighbors may find useful. Please feel free to forward it to your listserve. Don’t hesitate to call or email if you have questions.

      Sincerely,

      Elena Perez

      Community Organizer

      206.436.6544

      http://www.ufcw21.org

      Friends,

      As you may have heard on the news, thousands of employees are ready to walk off the job at Safeway, QFC, Fred Meyer and Albertsons over how those companies are gaming the Affordable Care Act to cut health care coverage and benefits for grocery workers and their families, not to mention cutting holiday pay and the wages of their lowest paid workers.

      UFCW21 members are standing strong -- an amazing 98% voted to authorize a strike. Despite the sacrifice they may be forced to make, they are determined to protect job standards for themselves and future workers. However, we know that a strike at local grocery stores will require sacrifice from neighbors and customers as well. Recognizing the anxiety a strike may cause, we are encouraging community members throughout the Puget Sound to visit a community website to receive updates on the negotiations, a list of other places to shop in the event of a strike, and ways to support our neighborhood grocery clerks in achieving a fair contract.

      1.      Sign up for the "Strike Alert Service." Stand With Our Checkers is hosting this service -- they'll text or email you when a store in your zipcode is on strike and will send you a list of alternative stores in the area. Text the word Checkers to 313131 or sign up here.

      2.      To show support for the workers, you can LIKE the Stand With Our Checkers support page on Facebook and then click SHARE to share it with it everyone. Facebook pages aren’t the only answer, but showing grocery store employees that you stand with them also sends a message to the big grocery store CEOs.

      Stay tuned for word on food drives and other actions. Thanks everyone!

      StandWithOurCheckers.com

      Inline image 2