FW: Park's Legacy Plan and Next Steps

  • Pitre, Yun
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2013

    FYI

    From: Bagshaw, Sally
    Sent: Friday, April 26, 2013 5:05 PM
    To: 'president@...'; 'president@...'; 'chcc.officers@...'; 'info@...'; 'broadview.communitycouncil@...'; 'directors@...'; 'David01@...'; 'dduthweiler@...'; 'info@...'; 'pkostek@...'; 'elmonrad@...'; 'magnoliacommunityclub@...'; 'MPCCPres.Gene@....'; 'belltowncommunitycouncil@...'
    Cc: Williams, Christopher; Bultmann, Jan; Nyland, Kathy; Rehrmann, Lily; Matsuno, Bernie; Louie, Steve; 'barbarawright100@...'; 'lymphaticclass@...'
    Subject: Park's Legacy Plan and Next Steps

    Hello District Council Leaders!

    I want to reach out to each of you and make sure you know what’s coming up for Seattle Parks in the next year, and ask for your help in reaching your members and neighborhoods.

    I chair the Parks and Neighborhood Committee for Seattle City Council, and it has been my absolute pleasure to work closely with Acting Superintendent Christopher Williams and his team.  Working together, Parks has created a Legacy Plan which is a strategic look at how much parks cost to operate, the back log of deferred maintenance, programs that people want, and a look at how people want to enjoy and fund our parks in the future.  This has been a great step.

    The 2008 Parks and Greenspaces levy expires at the end of 2014.  In anticipation, we have created a stakeholders group that is taking a deep look at all of our parks and programs.  Members of our Parks Board of Commissioners are leading this effort.  We want to hear from people across our city about what neighborhoods want to see for the next generation of parks.  This is where you come in.

    Christopher Williams, his staff, our Parks Board of Commissioners and I are reaching out city wide, asking people for their opinions about their parks and what is important to them for the future.

    This past year the Parks Department has been actively surveying users on the ground and by telephone.  We now have a schedule designed to increase our outreach, and during the month of May, Parks is scheduling a series of public meetings to solicit opinions and interests that will advise the stakeholder’s group.  The flyer with the scheduled meetings is linked here.  In summary, here’s the meeting schedule:

    Tuesday, May 7 from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
    GENERAL MEETING
    Seattle Parks and Recreation Administration Building
    100 Dexter Ave. N

    Wednesday, May 8 from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
    SPORTS, RECREATION, AND AQUATICS
    Green Lake Community Center
    7201 E Green Lake Dr. N

    Monday, May 13 from 5:30 to 7 p.m.
    SENIORS, TEENS INCLUDING LGBT, COMMUNITY
    CENTERS AND ASSOCIATED RECREATION COUNCIL (ARC)
    Northgate Community Center
    10510 5th Ave. NE

    Thursday, May 16 from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
    ENVIRONMENTAL PROGRAMS, OPEN SPACE
    AND MAINTENANCE
    Jefferson Community Center
    3801 Beacon Ave. S

    Tuesday, May 21 from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
    GENERAL MEETING
    Dakota Place Park Building
    4304 SW Dakota St.

    Wednesday, May 22 from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
    IMMIGRANT AND REFUGEE COMMUNITIES
    South Shore K-8 School
    4800 S Henderson St.

    I am pleased with the work our Parks Department is doing to make our parks both available to all and efficiently operated, and I am asking for your assistance in extending Park’s reach to your neighborhoods and organizations.  Thank you for sharing the meeting schedule broadly.

    If you want more data about progress and successes from the 2008 levy,  we have created a Community Update showing the accomplishments.  That is attached above.  Please feel free to forward this document as well, as it provides current information about projects completed and those underway across our city.

    Many thanks for your help.  If you have questions, please contact me or Jan Bultmann in my office.  If you want to share information with me, I welcome it.

    --Sally Bagshaw