FW: Less than One Week to Gathering of Neighbors 2013!!

  • Pitre, Yun
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2013

    FYI

    From: Michael Taylor-Judd [mailto:michael.taylor_judd@...]
    Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 2:32 PM
    To: WestSeattleBlog; West Herald; Pitre, Yun; Dominic Holden; Erica Barnett; Josh Feit
    Subject: Less than One Week to Gathering of Neighbors 2013!!

    Gathering Of Neighbors

    Date:  Saturday, April 21st, 2012

    Time:  11:00 am – 3:00 pm

    Location: Chief Sealth International High School, 2600 SW Thistle St

    GON logo crop

    Contact:  Michael Taylor-Judd,

    (206) 569-4583, Michael.Taylor_Judd@...

    Less than One Week to Gathering of Neighbors 2013!!

    Gather with your West Seattle/White Center neighbors this Saturday at Chief Sealth.

    On Saturday, May 4th, at 9:00am at Chief Sealth International High School, VIEWS (Visualize Increased Engagement West Seattle), Southwest Youth & Family Services, the Delridge Neighborhoods District Council, and the Southwest District Council will present the 2013 edition of the Gathering of Neighbors.   GON has also partnered with the City of Seattle, Seattle Public Utilities, Rainwise Program to offer Delridge residents the opportunity to learn how water barrels and rain gardens can help improve the environment.  SPU and their contractors will be available to demonstrate and answer all your questions.

    This year’s event will feature several plenary sessions that we hope will encourage residents, schools, agencies, and community leaders to create new partnerships to meet the changing and challenging needs in the community:

    ·   9:00am - Social/Refreshments

    ·   9:30 am - Welcoming Ceremonies

    ·   10:00am - Honoring our Diverse Northwest Culture

    ·   10:20am - Sessions

    Ø  Should We Elect Our Seattle City Council by Districts?

    Ø  Rain Gardens and Other Creative Way to Improve and Make Your Neighborhood Beautiful

    Ø  Working Together to Build Stronger Communities

    Ø  Connecting Resources to Needs When a Major Disaster Hits - Emergency Communication Hubs

    Ø  Diaries of White Center - A Historical Documentary

    ·   11:05 - Repeat Sessions

    ·   Noon - The State of West Seattle/Wrap up

    ·   Resource Fair/Entertainment

    During the afternoon the GON Resource Fair will feature neighborhood councils, non-profits and social service providers, a selection of representatives from various city and county departments, plus local entertainment to celebrate the Gathering of Neighbors and the connections we have made. Will you join us?  Starting at 12:30 the entertainment will feature:

    Ø  12:30 pm - Twelfth Night Productions - Broadway show tunes

    Ø  1:00 pm - Ellis Brothers - Middle schools trio of Jazz playing brothers

    Ø  1:45 pm - Trackademics - Sealth group

    Ø  2:15 pm -  DK Dwyer - Chicago style blues (acoustic)

    Gathering Of Neighbors

    Date:  Saturday, April 21st, 2012

    Time:  11:00 am – 3:00 pm

    Location: Chief Sealth International High School, 2600 SW Thistle St

    What is VIEWS?

    Visualize Increased Engagement West Seattle (VIEWS) is a non-partisan community organization comprised of local, volunteer citizens – your neighbors – who have come together to create programming to educate, engage, and mobilize West Seattle citizens to sustain and improve the quality of life and services available across our peninsula. Like us on Facebook -- http://www.facebook.com/WSgathering!

    What is SWYFS?

    Southwest Youth and Family Services (SWYFS) has been providing services in the West Seattle area since 1979. Our mission is to empower youth and families through culturally relevant counseling, education and family support services in White Center, South Park, Delridge, West Seattle and other neighborhoods. We connect people to high quality services, and also to each other. As a result, our communities become stronger, the changes last, and the impact can be felt wherever you are.

    SWYFS is a private non-profit, 501(c)3 organization; all donations are tax deductible. We are proud to serve as the fiscal sponsor for this year’s Gathering of Neighbors event. Visit our website at www.swyfs.org for more information.