Fwd: Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Program

  • Katy Walum
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 15, 2012

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Alaskan Way Viaduct <wsdot@...>
      Date: Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 12:42 PM
      Subject: Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Program
      To: katy.walum@...

      View Online Version

      This program is led by the Washington State Department of Transportation in partnership with the Federal Highway Administration, King County, City of Seattle and the Port of Seattle.

      Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Program News

      Feb. 15, 2012

      In this issue:

      • What’s been happening since the October viaduct closure?
      • Look into the future – with our construction simulations.
      • Public invited to learn about Colman Dock project.

      What’s been happening since the October viaduct closure?

      Last fall’s week-long closure of the Alaskan Way Viaduct was a major milestone for the structure’s replacement. We opened an SR 99 construction bypass, which keeps traffic moving during construction, and began demolition of the viaduct’s south end.

      Since then, construction has ramped up south of downtown and in areas to the north. In the footprint of the old south end viaduct, crews with big cranes are building foundations for a second SR 99 bridge. This new bridge will eventually carry northbound traffic, while the current bridge will become southbound.

      Along the waterfront, the SR 99 tunnel work zone now includes a section of Alaskan Way between South Main and South King streets, as crews begin utility relocations and excavation for the boring machine launch pit. Utility relocation work is also underway east of Seattle Center, in preparation for construction of the tunnel’s north portal.

      In the coming months, construction crews will prepare to excavate the tunnel’s north portal area, reinforce sections of the viaduct along the tunnel route, and install underground walls near the viaduct to limit ground movement during tunneling. Stay up-to-date on construction by visiting our website.

      Look into the future – with our construction simulations

      While most of the construction for the SR 99 tunnel will, naturally, occur underground, crews will be working at either end of the tunnel route to launch and receive the boring machine and build new ramps and street connections. To help you understand what to expect during this work, we’ve added interactive construction simulations to our website.

      The south portal simulation describes construction west of the stadiums, where we are completing the new SR 99 roadway between South Holgate and South King streets and building the south end of the tunnel. The north portal simulation describes tunnel work east of Seattle Center near Aurora Avenue, as well as nearby construction for the City’s Mercer Corridor Program. Each simulation covers today through 2017, and allows you to view the stages of work from several angles.

      While these tools can help you plan for future construction, remember to check our downtown/SODO construction closures to see how work today is affecting traffic.

      Public invited to learn about Colman Dock project

      WSDOT Ferries Division plans to replace the aging and seismically vulnerable components of Colman Dock, Seattle’s downtown ferry terminal, in order to ensure safe and reliable ferry service in the future. As the first step in the environmental review process, the public is invited to provide comments to help shape the project.

        Colman Dock public meeting
        3:30 – 6 p.m.
        Thursday, Feb. 16, 2012
        Puget Sound Regional Council – Board Room
        1011 Western Ave., Suite 500, Seattle

      Comments will be accepted until March 15, 2012. For more information about the project or how you can provide comments, visit the project Web page.

      Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Program links
      Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Program
      SR 99 South Holgate to South King Street Project | SR 99 Tunnel Project
      Current Construction | Public Events | Contact Us

      As a public agency, the Washington State Department of Transportation is subject to the State’s Public Records Act (RCW 42.56). E-mail addresses may be made available to anyone requesting them for noncommercial purposes.

      This service is provided by the Washington State Department of Transportation. Contact us at  WebFeedback@...

      Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) information
      If you would like to learn more about accessibility and the tools we have available, visit www.wsdot.wa.gov/Accessibility/.

      STAY CONNECTED:
      Visit our BlogVisit us on FacebookVisit us on FlickrRSSVisit us on TwitterVisit us on YouTubeEmail Updates

      SUBSCRIBER SERVICES:
      Manage Preferences  |  Unsubscribe  |  Help

      This email was sent to katy.walum@... using GovDelivery, on behalf of: WSDOT · 310 Maple Park Ave SE · Olympia, WA 98504 · 360-705-7000Powered by GovDelivery