February HPAC meeting

  • HPAC
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13, 2012
      Our February HPAC meeting is shaping up with quite a full agenda- please  join us to hear updates from the design team and Seattle Parks on the Highland Park Spraypark Project, and the Westcrest Reservoir Project, including the proposed P-Patch.

      It'll be on Wednesday, February 29th- yes, that's the 5th Wednesday instead of the 4th- I had problems counting this month and scheduled everything for the wrong day, so make sure to mark your calenders!
      Potluck at 6:30, meeting at 7 at the Highland Park Improvement Club on 12th and Holden (www.hpic1919.org). Check out that website too for details on the movie night coming up this Friday the 17th at HPIC.

      If you could not join us for our January meeting, we wanted to keep you updated about our ongoing discussions regarding Nickelsville- The police have shared a few things with us:
      • there is not a big increase in activity in the greenbelt, no big obvious spikes that they can attribute to Nickelsville
      • they don't see any trends or spikes in crime in Highland Park associated with Nickelsville or those living in the greenbelt that are different from trends sweeping the rest of West Seattle or Seattle in general
      • there is a process in place to remove campers/people living on SDOT or Seattle Parks property. The police just need to know where people are having concerns about people living in the greenbelt - so if you have a concern, call them.
      • they won't do regular patrols as we requested, but they will respond to calls about specific location
      • they do not advise people to patrol the area themselves as encampments are sometimes guarded by aggressive dogs
      We have been writing our Councilmembers and Mayor's office to encourage some political leadership on this matter, with appropriate siting of a city sanction encampment and swift action on setting standards for encampments in industrialized areas. When such standards are set, there will be a public comment period. HPAC is interested in seeing standards set that include, at the very least: access to water and sewer, proximity or access to services, and environmental review where it relates to public health concerns (sites not prone to flooding or littered with contaminants in the soil). We also wrote to the staff of Nickelsville to offer to team up with them to press the City Council to make some decisions as it seems that our goals on a policy level are the same, but have not heard back from them. We'll continue to present any further updates at our meetings until the concerns we heard from our members have been resolved.

      Hope to see you on the 29th-
      Carolyn and Billy