Field at Walter Pierce Park completely ruined -- how much $$$?

  • kiltumper89
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2005
      After being closed for a year to be renovated, the field is now
      completely destroyed and probably actually in worse shape than it
      was before being "fixed".

      I want to know how many of my tax dollars got flushed down the
      toilet with this project and who was responsible for this disaster.
      Yeah, I know it rains, and yeah, I know it's hard to keep people off
      it, but knowing these things (which surely were known -- see below),
      why was it done in the first place??

      I searched through this list and found a message from 2002 (pasted
      in part below) saying that the same field was once resod for
      $80,000!!! and was promptly destroyed within a few months of being
      finished. How is it possible that this happened again??

      From: "jeisendc" <jeisendc@...>
      Date: Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:09 pm
      Subject: Clarification of Field at Walter Pierce Park jeisendc
      Offline
      Send Email

      Friends of Walter Pierce Park has asked me to forward this message:

      Friends of Walter Pierce Park held a large community meeting on
      October 8th (100 members) to discuss plans for renovation of the
      multipurpose field. The meeting included a wide range of park users
      and interests as well as neighborhood and city officials.

      There was a consensus at the meeting that it was important to
      temporarily halt the field renovation plans (which we had not been
      consulted about) so that community concerns could be incorporated.
      Various concerns were raised including how the city plans to manage
      and protect the field from overuse and damage. Historically the city
      once invested $80,000 to re-sod the field and after a few months it
      was destroyed by overuse. Possible solutions were suggested-
      including a field house (with staff and community members) to
      regulate use of the field. For example, keep people off the field in
      wet conditions.
    • Mindy Moretti
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
        Inspite of vast amounts of community input prior to the fence coming down from around the renovated field at Walter Pierce Park, the D.C. Department of Parks and Rec, then under the leadership of Acting Director Neil Stanely and Assistant Director Drew Becher had no maintenance plan in place for the field, nor any plans to install signage explaining in English and in Spanish the rules for usage of the field.

        The newly install irrigation system for the field was either faulty or not properly calibrated and the Department's answer to that was, instead of fixing the system, to simply turn it off. The grounds crew responsible for the grass cutting also failed to rake up cut grass which leads to damage.

        In addition to all that, permits were issued to a variety of adult soccer and kickball leagues seven days a week leaving no downtime for the field nor general community use. Also, with only nine Park Rangers for the entire city, the field was hardly policed enough for improper usage.

        As for actual costs of the project, that is something you would have to consult with DPR about.

        Currently there are several plans underway to not only restore the field, but to also maintain it for the Adams Morgan community and for area adult leagues to use.

        If you  have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

        Mindy Moretti
        ANC1C04 Commissioner
        Friends of Walter Pierce Park President

      • Ed Mori
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2005
          This taxpayer says leave it as a sand pit and let the dogs have it
          again. Without a fence, water, and supervision there is no point in
          restoring the field. Ed
        • kiltumper89
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2005
            Agreed.