[Adams Morgan] Re: Police Deployment and DC Tax Dollars

  • cgoulddc
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2003
      I didn't think I was suggesting that anyone should just accept the
      police's word for everything! God knows the Secret Service seems to
      almost always go overboard, in my eyes. And, indeed, I also agree
      with you that it seems like there's too many cops around handling a
      very small amount of protesters. I was simply saying that there
      could be more there than meets the eye, and that I didn't really know
      more than the police do about what it takes for them to do their
      job. I think it's fine to second-guess them (and the media too), but
      I think that ought to be taken for what it is - second-guessing by
      someone who may or may not know the whole story.
      At the same time, I would suggest that when you call Chief Ramsey "PR
      flack Ramsey," you are revealing a certain bias that may lead you to
      a different conclusion.
      (Not that I don't have my biases, either. As I've already suggested,
      I don't really think that some of the protesters during the IMF/World
      Bank protests were necessarily as peaceful and as innocent as they
      would have people believe - although I wasn't intending and hope I
      didn't leave the impression that I have disrespect for their right to
      protest, or indeed that I didn't have some sympathies for parts of
      their messages.)

      --- In AdamsMorgan@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hancuff <mlbrwh@g...>