DC Supersonic Kirtan and Yoga Chai invite you to chant with us!

  • MMD-Elizabeth
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 2, 2010
      DC Supersonic Kirtan and Yoga Chai invite you to close out our fall
      season of our rockin' monthly kirtan program with an evening of
      ecstatic chanting. This month, we'll be led by Sri kisore and Hari
      Smith and accompanied by a lively group of harmonium and kartal
      players, drummers, and chanters.

      Saturday, December 18th
      6:30pm - 10:00pm

      Yoga Chai
      1744 Columbia Road, NW 2nd floor
      Washington, DC

      Suggested donation is $10.

      If you are on FB:

      DC Supersonic Kirtan's page:
      http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=166749110003483&num_event_invites=0#!/
      pages/DC-Supersonic-Kirtan/124750257577382

      December event page:
      http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=104106706327972

      ABOUT DC SUPERSONIC KIRTAN:
      Kirtan is call-and-response chanting of sacred sound accompanied by
      the playing of musical instruments. This enlivening spiritual practice
      is an integral part of the tradition of devotional yoga that
      originated in India many centuries ago.

      All of us share an interest in kirtan; singing, dancing, drumming, and
      participating in the group energy of kirtan elevates our spirits,
      strengthens our sense of connectedness, and contributes to the
      building of a spiritual community.

      Each month talented kirtaniyas – from the DC area as well as special
      guest kirtaniyas from around the world – will lead our group through
      an evening of ecstatic chanting. Please join us as we provide an
      opportunity for the DC area's home-grown kirtan leaders to serve the
      community, offer a venue for kirtan enthusiasts to chant and share,
      and help to build a wider DC area audience for touring kirtan musicians.
    • GraphicsDC@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 2, 2010
           what the fuck is wrong w/all of you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it's an eclectic neighborhood w/eclectic interest,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,18th below columbia is totally populated /w/noise and trash,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so stroga ( which i''ve never heard any noise from is well beyond the norm )-  why don't you all concentrate on the   restaurants/clubs that only add to the demise of the neighborhood.  I've lived here for 28 yrs. and stroga,,,,,,doesn't even enter on blip of a screen that creates problems.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,why are you wasting your/yours time w/the city on such frivolous activiyies.?

        In a message dated 12/2/2010 1:40:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, maryjeandc@... writes:

        Gosh sometimes I don't know why people have chosen to live in Adams Morgan.  The noise obviously bothers you...but does the existence of a nightclub also bother you? I don't necessarily think noise, music and drinks are necessarily unhealthy.

        On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Jason Hawke <jhawke@...> wrote:

        My understanding is that the other business's have full time liquor licenses of some type that require them to have neighborhood input on their operations. Stroga circumvented the process by using a catering company.

        Frankly I find it pretty dam hypocritical of an organization that advocates holistic health pimping out their space at night as a nightclub and keeping their neighbors awake at all hours of the night.

        -Jason

        On Dec 2, 2010, at 8:34 AM, Simi Batra wrote:

        I mean I get the noise and alcohol thing, trust me I do. But aren't there loads of business in Adams Morgan who operate clubs under the guise of restaurants, openly violating noise and other ordinances?  Or just stand at 18th & Columbia and watch suburban drivers barely miss pedestrians as they run red lights and then park illegally.  We manage to ignore all that stuff.  At least Stroga - arguably - offers a very neighborhood friendly business, at least most of the time, as opposed to the other shlock on 18th Street. So why does Stroga get the immediate attention?

        ---

        one world, one people, one future

        --
        Mary Jean Collins

        maryjeandc@...
        202-531-4347

      • Ryan Bingham

          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 3, 2010
            --- In AdamsMorgan@yahoogroups.com, GraphicsDC@... wrote:

            why are you wasting your/yours time w/the city on such frivolous activities?

            Hello GraphicsDC:

            I think the discussion on the listserv is focusing on the questionable strategy that Stroga used to throw these parties. By using a catering license, it isn't required to follow rules established to keep trash and noise to a minimum. Also, that means other nearby clubs that are following those rules may be losing business to a yoga studio that's basically gaming the system to turn into a club at night. It's a yoga studio, not a club. Or at least it's supposed to be. The noise is a symptom of the larger problem. What if other businesses follow this lead?

            A few questions:

            To the club owners on the list (Madam's Organ, Chief Ike's), what is your take on all this?

            If I recall, someone posted the name of the building management. Has anyone approached the District? Beg pardon ahead of time if that's been covered.

            Also, I'll email Mr. Graham to ask for his input on the listserv. I don't know as if anyone has done that yet.

            Kind Regards,
            Dru Sefton
            Argonne Apts
          • Giovanna Frank-Vitale

              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 4, 2010
                I tell why this is important: there are laws in place so that businesses don't interfere with quality of life. For example, what if a garbage dump opened in your front yard because they gamed the system?

                Yes, there are more important things to discuss like child poverty. But this discussion was on Stroga, not rating importance of issues.

                Graham King
              • matt forman
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 5, 2010
                  I agree with Simi.  We're missing the forest for the trees.  Why focus on whether a single establishment should have gotten a restaurant license instead of a caterer's license, when it doesn't really matter?  The ABC board rarely if ever enforces the distinction among licenses, so how are we going to be any better off by forcing stroga to file some different paperwork downtown, or whether the law is amended to close the loophole?  Case in point is Bobby Lew's Saloon.  Ooops, did I say saloon?  Of course, I meant "restaurant."  Oh, they didn't meet the per seat food minimum for their restaurant license? Then why not just change how many seats they have?  Another problem solved by the ABC Board!  Good luck marching down there to complain about Stroga.

                  Adams Morgan is famous for its late night rowdiness and over-saturation of clubs.  Articles about ABC issues in local newspapers routinely quote the residents of other neighborhoods as saying that they don't want to become "another Adams Morgan."  This week's Dupont Current explains how Ghana Cafe doesn't have anywhere near the revenue it used to, after moving from Adams Morgan to Logan Circle, basically suggesting that Logan Circle simply isn't going to put up with the outdoor 3 AM/outdoor cafe/nightclub that Ghana got away with here.

                  So we either want a lot of noise, traffic, and crime, or we don't.  Judging by the status quo, apparently we enjoy it.  But If we do want change, we're not going to solve the problem by focusing on meaningless technicalities here or there.  There has to be a wholesale change in approach from the council and the ABC Board.
                • Bill Falls
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 5, 2010
                    Your post seems to contradict itself, saying alternately that we should do nothing and then that major change is needed. What's going to bring about your "wholesale change in approach from the council and the ABC Board" if the community throws in the towel on places like Stroga that are upsetting their neighbors?
                    Bill Falls <billfalls@...>
                    Washington, DC
                    http://www64.pair.com/bfalls/

                    On 12/5/2010 10:43 AM, matt forman wrote:

[...]

                  • Han Ah-Sue
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 6, 2010
                      Funny that when Vegetate opened up a few years ago and served alcohol with a similar catering license, everybody on this listserv cried about how unfair it was that the Shiloh baptist church was trying to get them shut down.
                    • Bryan Weaver
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 6, 2010
                        So the era of me responding to wonky ANC emails may soon be coming to a
                        close, but until the new session of the ANC I will still "pocket
                        protector" this situation up.

                        Matt: The ABC board voted to revoke the license of Bobby Lew's Saloon
                        and Bossa Bistro. It was the Court of Appeals that overturned the ABC
                        board decision and gave them the ability to change the number of seats
                        to be in compliance.

                        Han: Vegatate's fight was not over a caterers license it was over a
                        restaurant license - because they were within 400 feet of the Seaton
                        School and a pre-k program they were not allowed to have a liquor
                        license. CM Graham passed emergency legislation to remove the within
                        400 feet limit so restaurants like Vegatate and a Chris Donatelli
                        development could apply for a liquor license. Shiloh, which housed the
                        pre-k protested the restaurant license.

                        CM Graham: While I appreciate your office's help on this, but your
                        office in no way shape or form led the investigation into Stroga. The
                        ANC (namely Commissioner Moretti) and the residents of 1810 Calvert had
                        been working with MPD and ABRA for months regarding the noise and
                        unruly crowds. The October 21st joint ANC/MPD meeting you sight in your
                        email was about efforts of residents, ABRA, MPD and the ANC working
                        together. ABRA and MPD had already been to Stroga, and we were talking
                        with ABRA's general council about the legality of the use of the
                        caterers license.

                        You just can't cherry pick other people's work.

                        Most frustrating was my attempt in late September to engage your office
                        for help, and have your consisutent services coordinator try to
                        orchestrate a way for a local candidate for ANC take credit for fixing
                        this problem. Shameful.

                        I hope the community will be able to come to an agreement between
                        Stroga and it's neighbors, where Stroga can still use it's venue for
                        special events but not the 17 straight weekends of being a Nightclub.

                        Bryan

                      • gewissensbisse@rcn.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 6, 2010
                          >You just can't cherry pick other people's work.
                          >
                          >Most frustrating was my attempt in late September to engage your office
                          >for help, and have your consisutent services coordinator try to
                          >orchestrate a way for a local candidate for ANC take credit for fixing
                          >this problem. Shameful.
                          >
                          >I hope the community will be able to come to an agreement between
                          >Stroga and it's neighbors, where Stroga can still use it's venue for
                          >special events but not the 17 straight weekends of being a Nightclub.
                          >Bryan

                          =========

                          I live in 1803 Biltmore ... We, renters who live in the rear of the building, have loud music BLASTING in our CLOSED windows, who have to to hear the wooping and Yelling AND SEE MEN PEEING in the alley are TIRED of the situation.
                          Enough is enough. Its maybe lawsuit time. Yes?
                        • Fritz Hahn
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 7, 2010
                            Brian -- While you are right about the reasons for the fight over Vegetate's liquor license, you're wrong about their use of a catering license. After Shiloh's opposition (and use of the 400 foot rule) nixed Vegetate's liquor license application, the owners tried to get around the law by purchasing temporary beer and wine catering licenses and offering liquor on Friday and Saturday nights only. It ticked the church off, but according to lawyers I spoke to at the time, it was legal and the church couldn't stop it. Vegetate did that for at least a month in 2006.

                            Fritz

                            Han: Vegatate's fight was not over a caterers license it was over a
                            restaurant license - because they were within 400 feet of the Seaton
                            School and a pre-k program they were not allowed to have a liquor
                            license. CM Graham passed emergency legislation to remove the within
                            400 feet limit so restaurants like Vegatate and a Chris Donatelli
                            development could apply for a liquor license. Shiloh, which housed the
                            pre-k protested the restaurant license.

                            Fritz Hahn
                            Bars and Clubs Editor
                            Washington Post Going Out Guide
                            1150 15th Street NW  Washington  DC 20071
                            p. 202-334-9419

                            fritz.hahn@...
                            washingtonpost.com | mobile.twp.com

                          • Bryan Weaver
                            Message 13 of 22 , Dec 7, 2010
                              Thanks Fritz,

                              This is So so so inside baseball, but was it a caterer or one day
                              licenses? (which can be renewed 12 times a year)

                              Bryan

                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 7, 2010
                                Bryan - According to the ABC Board's October 13, 2010 order, the Court of Appeals upheld the Board's decision to revoke the license.  So Bobby Lew's simply applied for a reduction in the number of seats and the Board agreed, as I previously stated.
                              • WeaverANC@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 22 , Dec 7, 2010
                                  Matt,

                                  I was on the other side of this issue so I am sure it was actually pushed back from the court of appeals, I will get the citation from the court. The ABC board (in this case) went way beyond the OAG recommendation and ruled for revocation.

                                  From: "matt forman" <matthew.forman2@...>
                                  Sender: AdamsMorgan@yahoogroups.com
                                  Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 22:24:42 -0500
                                  To: <AdamsMorgan@yahoogroups.com>