Re: New Circulator Bus Stops

  • John Wilcox
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
      The way I read the map of the new route, there is a stop at 18th and Columbia -- two actually: one eastbound and one westbound. There's not much in Adams Morgan that isn't within a five minute walk.

      > Although I welcome the Circulator, I am surprised that there is not a stop at, or near, the Adams Morgan Crossroads of 18th & Columbia. Is there the possibility of adding a stop both eastbound & westbound? Although this bus is great it does not replace the 98 which ran down 18th Street (with stops closer to the bars & restaurants) to to the U Street Metro from the Woodley Park Metro. If indeed the city , or neighborhood or whomever is trying to encourage visitors and bar & restaurant patrons to take public transit to Adams Morgan, wouldn't it make sense to have a stop in the HEART of Adams Morgan, closer to the main intersection? Just a thought.

    • Chris Schmidt
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
        The new Circulator stops are on Calvert St immediately west of the Adams Mill/Calvert split ... a minutes walk from the intersection of 18th and Columbia. Given the routing and the congestion in the intersection I suspect this is as close as they will ever get.

        --- In AdamsMorgan@yahoogroups.com, "John Wilcox" <jwilcox@...> wrote:

        > The way I read the map of the new route, there is a stop at 18th and Columbia -- two actually: one eastbound and one westbound. There's not much in Adams Morgan that isn't within a five minute walk.
        >
        > > Although I welcome the Circulator, I am surprised that there is not a stop at, or near, the Adams Morgan Crossroads of 18th & Columbia. Is there the possibility of adding a stop both eastbound & westbound? Although this bus is great it does not replace the 98 which ran down 18th Street (with stops closer to the bars & restaurants) to to the U Street Metro from the Woodley Park Metro. If indeed the city , or neighborhood or whomever is trying to encourage visitors and bar & restaurant patrons to take public transit to Adams Morgan, wouldn't it make sense to have a stop in the HEART of Adams Morgan, closer to the main intersection? Just a thought.

      • Kristen Barden
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
          The current west-bound stop on Calvert Street is temporary. Once the construction is finished, the west bound stop for the Circulator will be right in front of Kogibow Bakery and Adams Mill Bar and Grill on the plaza. People will be able to wait safely in the widened plaza. The east bound stop will stay on Calvert Street just around the corner from Kinko's.

          Kristen

          Kristen Barden

          Executive Director

          Adams Morgan Partnership BID

          1804 Belmont Road, NW

          Washington, DC 20009

          202-997-0783

          kbarden@...

          www.adamsmorganonline.org

          To: AdamsMorgan@yahoogroups.com
          From: Chrisdc65@...
          Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 13:32:53 +0000
          Subject: [Adams Morgan] Re: New Circulator Bus Stops

          The new Circulator stops are on Calvert St immediately west of the Adams Mill/Calvert split ... a minutes walk from the intersection of 18th and Columbia. Given the routing and the congestion in the intersection I suspect this is as close as they will ever get.

          --- In AdamsMorgan@ yahoogroups. com, "John Wilcox" <jwilcox@... > wrote:

          > The way I read the map of the new route, there is a stop at 18th and Columbia -- two actually: one eastbound and one westbound. There's not much in Adams Morgan that isn't within a five minute walk.
          >
          > > Although I welcome the Circulator, I am surprised that there is not a stop at, or near, the Adams Morgan Crossroads of 18th & Columbia. Is there the possibility of adding a stop both eastbound & westbound? Although this bus is great it does not replace the 98 which ran down 18th Street (with stops closer to the bars & restaurants) to to the U Street Metro from the Woodley Park Metro. If indeed the city , or neighborhood or whomever is trying to encourage visitors and bar & restaurant patrons to take public transit to Adams Morgan, wouldn't it make sense to have a stop in the HEART of Adams Morgan, closer to the main intersection? Just a thought.

          Rediscover HotmailĀ®: Get e-mail storage that grows with you. Check it out.
        • amdc2009
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
            Kristen,

            Thanks for updating us(me) about the temporary nature of one of the stops. The permanent Plaza location will be great! My concern with the original stops was that they were in a less transited spot -- a little darker etc. Also, I thought that they might not have been as as visible to visitors to the neighborhood as they are to residents.

            And, although I (we) walk all over, sometimes 5 minutes more in high heels is 5 minutes too many! :-)

            BTW -- The Circulator is already proving to be more reliable than the 98.

            Thank you.

            --- In AdamsMorgan@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Schmidt" <Chrisdc65@...> wrote:

            > The new Circulator stops are on Calvert St immediately west of the Adams Mill/Calvert split ... a minutes walk from the intersection of 18th and Columbia. Given the routing and the congestion in the intersection I suspect this is as close as they will ever get.
            >

            > --- In AdamsMorgan@yahoogroups.com, "John Wilcox" <jwilcox@> wrote:
            > >
            > > The way I read the map of the new route, there is a stop at 18th and Columbia -- two actually: one eastbound and one westbound. There's not much in Adams Morgan that isn't within a five minute walk.
            > >
            > > > Although I welcome the Circulator, I am surprised that there is not a stop at, or near, the Adams Morgan Crossroads of 18th & Columbia. Is there the possibility of adding a stop both eastbound & westbound? Although this bus is great it does not replace the 98 which ran down 18th Street (with stops closer to the bars & restaurants) to to the U Street Metro from the Woodley Park Metro. If indeed the city , or neighborhood or whomever is trying to encourage visitors and bar & restaurant patrons to take public transit to Adams Morgan, wouldn't it make sense to have a stop in the HEART of Adams Morgan, closer to the main intersection? Just a thought.

          • dcrockninja
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
              Thanks for the update. As long as we're on the subject of the new plaza, does anyone know if there are going to be any benches or places to sit and hang out in that plaza? It's a great space, and I'm really looking forward to sitting out there with a book and watching Adams Morgan go by on a lazy Sunday.