Re:Organic foods at YES

  • Sam D'Amico
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009
      I've stopped shopping at the Yes Organic Market on Columbia  Rd.  because the quality SUCKS!!  I've gotten moldy bread there and , as the conversation states, they  have next to NO organic food.

      I don't want to support a store whose name is a lie and  does  not seem to care about their customers.

      If other people  stop shopping there  maybe they'll go under. It would be great if  a place like MOM'S would come in and fill the void.

      In fact  contact  MOM"s to let them know that we need a store like theirs in Adams Morgan.

      Sam

    • dcvirginia
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009
        I shop there a lot, and I like that Yes is there. No, it's not all
        that it could be. But to my mind, that's no reason to want to shut it
        down entirely. I think a lot of people rely on it. I know I do.

        Their organic produce is marked "organic." Last night they had
        carrots, broccoli, leafy vegetables that were organic, and I think
        there's a whole lot more. If more should be organic in your opinion,
        please talk to them.

        --- In AdamsMorgan@yahoogroups.com, Sam D'Amico <sam@...> wrote:

        > I've stopped shopping at the Yes Organic Market on Columbia Rd.
        > because the quality SUCKS!! I've gotten moldy bread there and , as
        > the conversation states, they have next to NO organic food.
        >
        > I don't want to support a store whose name is a lie and does not
        > seem to care about their customers.
        >
        > If other people stop shopping there maybe they'll go under. It
        > would be great if a place like MOM'S would come in and fill the void.
        > http://www.myorganicmarket.com/retailer/store_templates/
        > shell_id_1.asp?storeID=A6B40AE98C7842A98FC8DE4784880288
        >
        > In fact contact MOM"s to let them know that we need a store like
        > theirs in Adams Morgan.
        > http://www.myorganicmarket.com/contact_us_multi.asp?
        > storeID=A6B40AE98C7842A98FC8DE4784880288
        >
        > Sam

      • Mary Carrick
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009
          Personally, I would recommend Whole Foods. I went into Yes sever ral
          years ago and found their organic produce to look cruddy and it was way
          more expensive. The staff was very unfriendly, too. It's true that not
          all the produce at WF is organic, but much of it is. Also the AM
          farmer's market, as well as Dupont's have organic or at least low or no
          pesticide produce. There are other markets around DC, such as Penn
          Quarter and down by GW. I went by GW's once and it was very nice.

          --- In AdamsMorgan@yahoogroups.com, "Shore, Debbie" <dshore@...> wrote:

          > I'd just like to add to my friend Marwan's plea for organic foods to
          be
          > sold at YES on Columbia Rd. Whether you are a ill or without a car or
          > short on resources and time to travel, organic food should be
          considered
          > a necessity, not a luxury and it would really be great to be able to
          buy
          > organic food somewhere in our neighborhood on a regular daily basis.
          >
          > Thank you.

        • David Hess
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009
            I am fairly certain that Harris Teeter carries organic produce. I
            have seen a pretty decent selection there.
            David

            --- In AdamsMorgan@yahoogroups.com, "Shore, Debbie" <dshore@...> wrote:

            > I'd just like to add to my friend Marwan's plea for organic foods to
            be
            > sold at YES on Columbia Rd. Whether you are a ill or without a car
            or
            > short on resources and time to travel, organic food should be
            considered
            > a necessity, not a luxury and it would really be great to be able to
            buy
            > organic food somewhere in our neighborhood on a regular daily basis.
            >
            > Thank you.

          • dcrockninja
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009
              Yes, both Whole Foods and Harris Teeter carry organic produce, as does
              Giant. It's all pretty pricey and tends to come from California,
              mitigating the environmental benefits. Giant sometimes features local
              producers.

              I didn't see an answer about the Adams Morgan Farmers' Market, so I'll
              post it again - I thought they didn't start back up until April. Can
              anyone clarify?

              Before you write off Randy from Star Hollow, know that most of the
              produce he grows is grown with the same strict, pesticide free
              "organic" practices as officially certified organic food. However, it
              costs a ton of time and money to get certified as an organic farmer
              and many smaller farms in the area simply can't afford it, so you're
              going to run into similar problems with many of the Farmers'
              Markets/CSAs in the area. Leigh Hauter of Bull Run Mountain Farm (a
              fantastic CSA option; highly recommend him) has an excellent
              explanation: http://www.bullrunfarm.com/certify.html

              Both Leigh and Randy have been really good about telling me up front
              about which foods are organic, which foods are not officially organic,
              and which foods are conventional and can't be vouched for.

              --- In AdamsMorgan@yahoogroups.com, "David Hess" <dhess78@...> wrote:

              > I am fairly certain that Harris Teeter carries organic produce. I
              > have seen a pretty decent selection there.
              > David
              >
              > --- In AdamsMorgan@yahoogroups.com, "Shore, Debbie" <dshore@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I'd just like to add to my friend Marwan's plea for organic foods to
              > be
              > > sold at YES on Columbia Rd. Whether you are a ill or without a car
              > or
              > > short on resources and time to travel, organic food should be
              > considered
              > > a necessity, not a luxury and it would really be great to be able to
              > buy
              > > organic food somewhere in our neighborhood on a regular daily basis.
              > >
              > > Thank you.

            • jmlblondie
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 3, 2009
                The Adams Morgan farmer's market is not open right now, but Star
                Hollow Farm does do CSAs throughout the year for members. There are no
                membership fees and no requirement to buy every week, but only so many
                membership spots, so you will have to inquire. With the membership you
                can choose to get a preset box of in-season produce or you can pick
                and choose what you want on a weekly basis.

                I know some people in this thread have mentioned a need for fruit and
                Star Hollow does have fruit throughout the winter (though a smaller
                selection- pears, apples, and sometimes citrus). Check out the website
                I posted when I first responded and it explains everything:
                http://www.starhollowfarm.com/store_orderproduce.htm. If you have
                further questions, email Randy and Chris and they will be more than
                happy to explain.

                Julia
              • kateyaeger
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 3, 2009
                  I can vouch for the market re-opening in April... but in the
                  meanwhile, you can still catch a mini-market sold out of Randy's truck
                  from Star Hollow Farm every Saturday from 10am-1pm (the time open to
                  have boxes collected).

                  --- In AdamsMorgan@yahoogroups.com, "dcrockninja" <clare.kelley@...>