parking space

  • alexgdc65
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009
      Hi, I am looking for a space to rent during the days from today through
      the month. I have a contractor working on my apartment and he is
      getting tickets. Help! My apartment is near the corner of Clydesdale
      and Adams Mill roads.
      Thanks
    • ecronen
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2009
        Are the tickets because he can't find any legal parking, or because he
        needs to stay longer than 2 hours (and he doesn't have a zone sticker)?

        If it's that he just needs to be able to stay in a legal spot more
        than 2 hours, it might be easier and cheaper to get a visitor's pass
        for him. See instructions here:
        http://dmv.dc.gov/serv/parking/Visitor.shtm (I've done this before,
        and was able to get it in 10 minutes at the police station on V Street.)

        (If you wanted to be precise about it, a contractor should probably
        get this alternate kind of parking pass:
        http://dmv.dc.gov/serv/parking/contractEmpTemp.shtm --- but it
        requires the contractor to have commercial tags and you can only get
        the pass at the DMV.)

        --- In AdamsMorgan@yahoogroups.com, "alexgdc65" <alexgdc65@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I am looking for a space to rent during the days from today through
        > the month. I have a contractor working on my apartment and he is
        > getting tickets. Help! My apartment is near the corner of Clydesdale
        > and Adams Mill roads.
        > Thanks

      • Stephanie Smilay
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2009
          On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 1:23 PM, ecronen <elizabeth_cronen@...> wrote:
          > Are the tickets because he can't find any legal parking, or because he
          > needs to stay longer than 2 hours (and he doesn't have a zone sticker)?
          >
          > If it's that he just needs to be able to stay in a legal spot more
          > than 2 hours, it might be easier and cheaper to get a visitor's pass
          > for him. See instructions here:
          > http://dmv.dc.gov/serv/parking/Visitor.shtm (I've done this before,
          > and was able to get it in 10 minutes at the police station on V Street.)

          That's all well and good, but it would seem that the contractor needs
          to be able to park through the end of January, and the parking permit
          for visitors is only valid for 15 days. Can the parking permit be
          renewed for a longer period?

          > (If you wanted to be precise about it, a contractor should probably
          > get this alternate kind of parking pass:
          > http://dmv.dc.gov/serv/parking/contractEmpTemp.shtm --- but it
          > requires the contractor to have commercial tags and you can only get
          > the pass at the DMV.)

          And contractors without commercial tags, what do they do?

          Stephanie
        • ecronen
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2009
            2 answers to your 2 questions:

            1) In my experience, the temporary permits/passes can be renewed. It
            just requires another application after two weeks.

            2) In my experience, my contractor (who did not have commercial tags)
            applied for and received a visitor pass.

            (And I don't think we were skirting any law on this. The info on the
            DMV site states that "A 'visitor' is defined as any person who visits
            a District of Columbia residence." My contractor was definitely
            visiting my residence! He just happened to be doing some tiling while
            he was there...)

            --- In AdamsMorgan@yahoogroups.com, "Stephanie Smilay" <ssmilay@...>