Re:More Police for Nightlife Areas

  • Madams Organ
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 6, 2008

      If only you were right…The businesses were not given extra funds to hire police……we are taxed doubly through what is called a BID(business improvement district)    We should not have to pay for extra police protection since 10%  of every dollar spent in every bar and restaurant already goes to the city in the form of sales taxes…the BID chose to hire extra police because the city(and Councilmember Graham by extension, since he has at least partial control over how city tax funds are allocated) has not done what is needed by allocating enough police resources to ensure public safety.  Yes, we, the businesses are doing what we can, but the city can and should be doing more.

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.

    • WeaverANC@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 6, 2008
        Bill

        What Dr. Brooks is talking about is the draft legislation that would allow off duty officers to work at abc establishments and ABRA would pick up half the cost of the off duty officers.

        Bryan
      • dave_k1000
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 7, 2008
          Could somebody please explain exactly how the BID program works?
          What I'm specifically interested in is what percentage of a security
          guard's cost is paid for by the private businesses and what
          percentage is paid for by city funds (after reimbursements and any
          other cost offsets). Is it 50/50, 90/10, 10/90, etc?

          Thanks.

        • WeaverANC@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 7, 2008
            The security aids and reimbursed detailed MPD officers are fully paid by a revenue collected by a self imposed tax on local businesses.

            --- In AdamsMorgan@ <mailto:AdamsMorgan%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com, WeaverANC@... wrote:

            > Bill
            >
            > What Dr. Brooks is talking about is the draft legislation that
            would allow off duty officers to work at abc establishments and ABRA
            would pick up half the cost of the off duty officers.

            > Bryan

          • dave_k1000
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 7, 2008
              So is Jim Graham's new program going to cover up to 50% of the cost
              of the extra security that is now 100% paid for by local businesses?
              Or is this new program separate from the BID?

              --- In AdamsMorgan@yahoogroups.com, WeaverANC@... wrote:

              > The security aids and reimbursed detailed MPD officers are fully
              paid by a revenue collected by a self imposed tax on local
              businesses.

            • Bryan Weaver
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 7, 2008
                This is a new program separate from the BID -- this is for establishments that hire officers for security. These are additional MPD officers and not the ones that the BID are currently paying for --- although I bet the BID can make the argument that their officers should be half price also.

                Bryan Weaver
                Chair, ANC 1C

                So is Jim Graham's new program going to cover up to 50% of the cost
                of the extra security that is now 100% paid for by local businesses?
                Or is this new program separate from the BID?

                --- In AdamsMorgan@ yahoogroups. com, WeaverANC@.. . wrote:

                > The security aids and reimbursed detailed MPD officers are fully
                paid by a revenue collected by a self imposed tax on local
                businesses.

              • dave_k1000
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 7, 2008
                  So in Adams-Morgan we'll have 1) normal police officers funded 100%
                  by the city, 2) cost-reimbursed security (off-duty police) paid for
                  50/50 by the city and local businesses, and 3) BID security paid for
                  100% by local businesses? Is this correct?

                  --- In AdamsMorgan@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Weaver <WeaverANC@...>
                  wrote:

                  > This is a new program separate from the BID --?this is for
                  establishments that hire officers for security. These are?additional?
                  MPD officers and not the ones?that the BID are?currently paying for --
                  - although I bet the BID can make the argument that their officers
                  should be half price also.

                  > Bryan Weaver
                  > Chair, ANC 1C

                  __
                  http://webmail.aol.com

                • Bryan Weaver
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 7, 2008
                    If this is approved by the DC Council -- then yes -- all three types could be in Adams Morgan.

                    Small point to this that the 50/50 officers would not be paid by MPD and the owner.

                    It is proposed that the Alcohol Beverage Regulation Administration (ABRA) would pay 50% and the owner would pay 50% -- but yes it is still your tax dollars.

                    I did notice that the number of regular tax paid officers assigned to PSA 303 did go down when the BID used their resources to get reimbursable officers, defeating the purpose of why the BID was hiring officers in the first place.

                    Bryan Weaver
                    Chair, ANC 1C

                    wrote:

                    > This is a new program separate from the BID --?this is for
                    establishments that hire officers for security. These are?additional?
                    MPD officers and not the ones?that the BID are?currently paying for --
                    - although I bet the BID can make the argument that their officers
                    should be half price also.

                    > Bryan Weaver
                    > Chair, ANC 1C

                  • dave_k1000
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 7, 2008
                      > I did notice that the number of regular tax paid officers assigned to
                      PSA 303 did go down when the BID used their resources to get
                      reimbursable officers, defeating the purpose of why the BID was hiring
                      officers in the first place.

                      That's very interesting. Thanks for all the info.
                    • Mark Rodeffer
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 7, 2008
                        Bryan -- So the Council is considering legislation whereby D.C. taxpayers would foot half of the cost of security guards for bars? What is the logic behind taxpayer subsidies to bars? I mean, should we pick up part of the cost to buy the booze too?

                        Mark

                      • Bryan Weaver
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 8, 2008
                          Mark--

                          Hey man, I just work here.

                          I believe that Councilmen Graham's intent is to find a economical way to get more officers on the street -- or at least in front of businesses --- in entertainment districts like Adams Morgan. More officers in Adams Morgan on weekend nights is generally a good thing.

                          My fear is that only good operators in the community will hire the officers and the sketchy establishments where most the problems happen will not.

                          The question whether this is a good idea to use of ABRA resources and tax dollars to subsidize MPD officer working for bars is a question for the DC Council.

                          Bryan Weaver
                          Chair, ANC 1C

                        • Glenn Greene
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 8, 2008
                            My fear is that when 100% taxpayer-financed officers need to be
                            pulled from someplace in response to the latest "crime emergency,"
                            the first choice will be the areas where businesses have hired their
                            own police as supplemental security.
                            I am also curious about what "outside" means in the context of this
                            plan. I would like to know whether these officers will be expected
                            to respond to any incidents that happen in the community or does
                            their responsibility only cover the immediate area of the particular
                            business(es) that hired them.

                            wrote:

                            > Mark--
                            >
                            > Hey man, I just work here.
                            >
                            > I believe that Councilmen Graham's intent is to find a economical
                            way to get more officers on the street -- or at least in front of
                            businesses --- in?entertainment districts?like Adams Morgan. More
                            officers in?Adams Morgan on weekend nights is generally a good thing.

                            > My fear is that only good operators in the community will hire the
                            officers and the sketchy establishments where most the problems
                            happen will not.

                            > The question whether this is?a good idea?to use?of ABRA resources
                            and tax dollars to subsidize MPD officer working for bars is a
                            question for the DC Council.??

                            > Bryan Weaver
                            > Chair, ANC 1C

                            __
                            http://webmail.aol.com

                          • kiltumper89
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 8, 2008
                              > My fear is that when 100% taxpayer-financed officers need to be
                              > pulled from someplace in response to the latest "crime emergency,"
                              > the first choice will be the areas where businesses have hired their
                              > own police as supplemental security.

                              That is troubling and may already be happening, according to Bryan's
                              earlier message. If our regulars are pulled away because there are
                              supplementals here, and the supplementals are committed to the 18th St.
                              bars (since that's who is paying them), then who is minding the rest of
                              the neighborhood?

                              (If I were one of the businesses paying for the supplementals, I'd feel
                              like I was getting ripped-off, too.)